Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Ben McClellan II

Post by Ben McClellan II »

Great start to the baseball thread, JH.

I do notice, though, that the teams are a bit lean. Sure, there's nine players on the field when they're not batting, but all professional teams in America usually have a roster of 25 players during the regular season, which is increased to forty during the last month of the season as teams start closing in on division titles and other playoff berths.

I envisioned two teams of forty characters.

Then I asked myself, do we even have forty female characters that we use here, at Horsehockey, or even at the BEA? :wink:
Twitter: @benmcclellan

Horsehockey v5.0: Ongoing! horsehockey dot ORG
JH

Post by JH »

[I've moved this to the correct area of the forum.]

Thanks for the compliment. I hadn't realised that about the squads, but in any case researching and then typing in so many character names would have been too much like hard work. :) I suspect that it would be possible to find enough characters to make up quite large squads, but some of them would be pretty obscure, and I wanted characters that most regular readers of the NEQ would recognise.

Afterthought: Though professional clubs might have such big squads, I imagine that teams at lower levers would be very different. For example I imagine that Charlie Brown's team would have had trouble mustering a full complement of nine players, never mind forty.
JH
Anableps

Post by Anableps »

Today is exactly nine years since I wrote my first episode. I thought that it would be appropriate to use my first character in some way.
JH

Post by JH »

Happy anniversary.

I have a suspicion that the real Ragan might not know too much about baseball, but of course that needn't prevent her fictional alter ego knowing a lot. Being a Brit, I don't know too much about it either. We have a broadly similar game called rounders, but it's mainly played by schoolchildren and I haven't played it since I was eleven.

BTW, I haven't forgotten our Steingeweser thread, but I ran out of inspiration.
JH