Doctor Who High School Thread

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Knight Random

Doctor Who High School Thread

Post by Knight Random »

Man, I had NO IDEA that this thread would take off to the extent that it did. :) I always thought that this thread would have a limited appeal, what with the Doctor Who and self-insertion aspects. I guess it's the archetypal subject matter. There's been barely any Fred episodes written in the past few days. I wonder if he feels jealous. :)

I did not intend one of the episodes to have ATFF crossover elements, either. It just kind of happened that way.
JH

Post by JH »

I was very tempted to write off option 4 of 28698 and have the substitute teacher give a lecture on the difference between "principle" and "principal", perhaps extending it to those other word pairs sometimes confused in the Quest: "site" and "sight", "quite" and "quiet" and "capitol" and "capital". But I thought better of it.
JH
Ib

Post by Ib »

Perhaps you thought worse of it. Perhaps you thought worse. I think MSG could have learned quite a bit from such an episode. Yes MSG, there IS a difference between 'quiet' and 'quite'. :D
ragan

Post by ragan »

Ib wrote:
Yes MSG, there IS a difference between 'quiet' and 'quite'. :D
MSG's problem isn't that he doesn't know how to spell, it's that his brain works so fast that his fingers have their work cut out for them trying to keep up. I've seen him. :)

And I'm enjoying this particular thread immensely, though, like KR, I'm a little surprised (though not remotely displeased!) that other people are interested in jumping in and playing. I'm also rather amused by the fact that it seems to have, in some sense, become a broad but fairly biting satire on the public education system. :) I've now had Pink Floyd floating through my head doing "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2" for the last couple of days. ("We don't need no education...")
Ib

We don't need no thought control...

Post by Ib »

I must admit, I know almost nothing about Dr. Who. Anything I do know has been gleaned from various episodes posted by Ragan, MSG, and KR. I must admit, I'm now curious about it. Is it re-ran on any other cable stations besides the BBC?

Look forward to seeing where this thread goes! And hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!
Ib

Oops!

Post by Ib »

Fixed that little spelling error of mine, 'principle' to 'principal'. And here I was giving MSG flak! Where would I be without that edit function?
MSG

Re: We don't need no thought control...

Post by MSG »

"I must admit, I know almost nothing about Dr. Who. Anything I do know has been gleaned from various episodes posted by Ragan, MSG, and KR. I must admit, I'm now curious about it. Is it re-ran on any other cable stations besides the BBC?"

From time to time the PBS channels will air them. Otherwise, cannot think of anyt paricular cable stations that do, alas. Best bet would to either get the tapes via the Net, or ask Ragan. :mrgreen:
MSG
ragan

Post by ragan »

Ib wrote:
I must admit, I know almost nothing about Dr. Who. Anything I do know has been gleaned from various episodes posted by Ragan, MSG, and KR.
Wow. I can only wonder what kind of impression that must have given you of the show. :)

MSG wrote:
From time to time the PBS channels will air them. Otherwise, cannot think of anyt paricular cable stations that do, alas. Best bet would to either get the tapes via the Net, or ask Ragan.
Yeah, if your local PBS station doesn't show it (and few of them do in the US nowadays, alas) and you don't get BBC America (which I think does show it), you pretty much have to find it on DVD/tape or you're out of luck.

If you'd like to see a few episodes, Ib, I would be more than happy to copy some for you. (I do stuff like that all the time. A friend recently referred to me as "the Johnny Appleseed of quality science fiction television." :))

In the meantime, you might want to check out the BBC's Doctor Who page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/. They've got an animated webcast up of an old unfinished episode they've adapted over for the current Doctor (the one who's featured on the High School of Doom thread). I haven't had the chance to look at it yet, but I have seen what got filmed of the original version, and I bet it'd be an interesting introduction, even if it is only a web animation...
Ib

Post by Ib »

I took a gander at that sight. Very amusing, but I would still like to see a TV episode. I'll do something I almost never do - I'll check PBS from time to time. I think the appeal of this particular thread is it's Game 2 universe. Any bad continuity can be chucked off to chaos energy. Very good for me, as I'm lazy and prone to carelessness.