NEQ general discussion, etc. (was: Jack's Sofa RIP?)

Discussion about The Never Ending Quest.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

KnightRandom

NEQ general discussion, etc. (was: Jack's Sofa RIP?)

Post by KnightRandom »

It would seem that Jack's Sofa has gone gently into that good night. Which is a pity: although it was kind of a mess to say the least, I had some good episodes over there, especially my branch of the Merlin's Quest thread. They seem to be lost beyond recovery.
Last edited by KnightRandom on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All spelling errors are to be ingored."--Stephen Ratliff
JH

Post by JH »

That's a pity. I did look at it when it was first announced, but there wasn't much there then, and I never got around to going back.

I expect that you're already aware of the Doctor Who Extend-A-Story here: http://dweasff.blogspot.com/2010/06/story-begins.html. I had originally intended to contribute, but I found that the episodes already written required a greater in-depth knowledge of the show than I had. (Though I've seen almost every episode, I don't retain all that much in my memory.)
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Can you find any of the episodes on the Internet archive?
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

All the episodes I wrote (the good ones anyway) seem to not be mirrored on the archive.
Ben McClellan II

Post by Ben McClellan II »

I also checked the Internet Archive, even though I never participated at Jack's Sofa. Years ago, I did read through a few story arcs to learn more about some of the main characters being used, but it doesn't look like there was a character guide linked.

So either those characters are lost forever, or perhaps I have a file somewhere on my computer where I jotted down some notes for, well, future use.

"Future use" being possibly integrating Jack's Sofa characters into the Never Ending Quest.
Twitter: @benmcclellan

Horsehockey v5.0: Ongoing! horsehockey dot ORG
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

I've been thinking for a while of bringing my version of Merlin into NEQ, which would be pretty easy since he's a dimensional traveler. But while I remember the general plot details of that thread (IE, Jack is sent on a quest to another world to find the Ka of Merlin, then the Ka merges with him he discovers that in fact he is Merlin, and must travel across the multiverse to recover the rest of his soul) but there are a lot of specific details I can't remember. Probably they don't matter much, though.
JH

Post by JH »

I always save copies on my own machine of all the episodes from threads that I'm interested in, just in case.
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

I often do this, but somehow I didn't for this thread. To be honest I have far too many threads I've been involved in to keep track of them all. I could probably use to concentrate my energies more on a few at a time and stick with them longer. (I say this as I'm working on and off on extensions for about five different threads. There's no one else around at the moment to write more serious stories about Lord Fred, so I've got to make up for that somehow... :P )
JH

Post by JH »

KnightRandom wrote: There's no one else around at the moment to write more serious stories about Lord Fred, so I've got to make up for that somehow... :P )
Apart from me, of course. :) I had a long thread going with Anableps until a month or so ago, but then - though it was notionally my "turn" - he emailed me to say that he had a good idea for a continuation and I said to go ahead with it, but I haven't heard from him since. I expect that Real Life has temporarily (I hope) got in the way. (BTW, I have every intention of continuing your 83475, but it could take me a day or two. The longer and more complex the thread - and the longer it is since I last wrote for it - the harder I find it to get back up to speed on it. Luckily there's a good summary for the thread at http://www.reocities.com/toh1999/Synops ... nions.html.)
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

By the way--I just noticed a minor typo in 90004. The third option has "thwemselves."
JH

Post by JH »

Ta! I'll fix that.

In similar vein, in your 90009, did you intend the repetition here: "In the flickering light of the torches all he could see of the three mages were their hands. One had the elegant hands of a noblewoman. One had the elegant hands of a noblewoman, with long fingers. And one had skin of a silvery hue."

Anyway I'm glad that the Red Hand is clearly an Equal Opportunities organisation - probably enough it itself to get it banned in Allaria!

I think I'll move this thread to the NEQ area, now that we're no longer talking about Jack's Sofa.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

Another thing about 90009. You appear to have the five prisoners introducing themselves to the new arrival before she stirs, which would seem to be the wrong way round! All you would need to do is delete the sentence that reads "Everyone introduced themselves once more.."
JH
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

Evidently I was pretty overworked when I posted that one... It's fixed now.
KnightRandom

Post by KnightRandom »

I'm having much more trouble writing this thread than its sibling. Probably because it has a relatively large number of characters at once in it. That makes it harder to give them all something meaningful to do.
JH

Post by JH »

Yes, I can see that. Take as long as you need. It's great to be collaborating with you again.
JH