New feature suggestion

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Lots42

New feature suggestion

Post by Lots42 »

Horsehockey had this thing where every time you reloaded the main page it came up with five random episodes.

I think that would be cool.

And we could have it so it brings up the first sentence/ten words from each episode so people could see a preiview
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

I have 2 feature suggestions. :idea:

:idea: 1.More backgrounds like a jungle background and a dessert background instead of black,white,and scroll.

:idea: 2.Make little minnie games.

Example:If Fred had to play soccer,you could make a cheap soccer mini game butten. Then Fred won, you pick opition 1. If Fred lost,you pick opition 2. 8)
Anableps

HTML links within episodes

Post by Anableps »

I think that we can have all the features that we want. An author just has to program them into the source code and submit it to Sir Toby.

One feature on my wish list is hyperlinking within an episode. There are a lot of stories that like to make reference to events that took place in an unrelated thread. There is a convention of placing the episode number in which these events took place in square brackets. The hyperlinks would make life easier.

I am not sure whether hyperlinking to sites other than the NEQ would be a good idea. I can see spammers abusing that.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Noise Tank wrote:More backgrounds like a jungle background and a dessert background instead of black,white,and scroll.
If someone wants to submit background images and color definitions for new schemes, I would be happy to include them. I need the following for any new scheme:

1. Scheme Name
2. Background Color
3. Text Color
4. Link Color
5. Visited Link Color
6. Active Link Color
7. Background Image (optional)
8. Uncreated Link Image
9. Created Link Image
10. Backlinked Link Image

If you include a background image, it needs to meet certain requirements. It needs to work well in a 640x480 resolution. If you have any decorative elements on the left side (as the scroll background does), it must not interfere with the episode text at 640x480 resolution. The width of the image must be enough to cover the larger resolutions, at least 2000 pixels wide.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: New feature suggestion

Post by Sir Toby »

Lots42 wrote:Horsehockey had this thing where every time you reloaded the main page it came up with five random episodes.

I think that would be cool.

And we could have it so it brings up the first sentence/ten words from each episode so people could see a preiview
This has been submitted as feature request # 770678:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=504951
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Noise Tank wrote::idea: 2.Make little minnie games.

Example:If Fred had to play soccer,you could make a cheap soccer mini game butten. Then Fred won, you pick opition 1. If Fred lost,you pick opition 2. 8)
Hmm... I'm not sure how this one will fit in with the code of Extend-A-Story. It also seems like a lot of work for something with a fairly limited application.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: HTML links within episodes

Post by Sir Toby »

Anableps wrote:One feature on my wish list is hyperlinking within an episode. There are a lot of stories that like to make reference to events that took place in an unrelated thread. There is a convention of placing the episode number in which these events took place in square brackets. The hyperlinks would make life easier.

I am not sure whether hyperlinking to sites other than the NEQ would be a good idea. I can see spammers abusing that.
This has been submitted as feature request # 770680:

WolfRun

New Feature Suggestion - Chronological Search

Post by WolfRun »

In the SearchEngine it would be nice when looking up recently written episodes to see them listed in chronological order instead of just numerical order.

This would also be a convenient option when looking up episodes by a specific search parameter. While I haven't worked on my NEQ site in a long while, I haven't completely dropped it. And when looking for the first appearances of characters I have to basically view a whole lot of episodes since the search result list doesn't delineate episodes by date of creation.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: New Feature Suggestion - Chronological Search

Post by Sir Toby »

WolfRun wrote:In the SearchEngine it would be nice when looking up recently written episodes to see them listed in chronological order instead of just numerical order.

This would also be a convenient option when looking up episodes by a specific search parameter. While I haven't worked on my NEQ site in a long while, I haven't completely dropped it. And when looking for the first appearances of characters I have to basically view a whole lot of episodes since the search result list doesn't delineate episodes by date of creation.
This has been submitted as feature request # 771397:

chickenwing

Another suggestion

Post by chickenwing »

I have another suggestion: The maximum number of child episodes for each option of every episode would be calculated, and the option with the highest number would have some kind of identification. Maybe a different colored link or a star next to it or something like that. This way, people like me who prefer to just keep reading, and not worry about hitting dead ends would be able to do that. Just an idea.
JH

Post by JH »

Won't the Story Tree feature pretty much do that?
JH
chickenwing

Post by chickenwing »

Well... it sort of does, but my idea would make it easier. I don't know. Maybe there's some feature of the Story Tree for this that I don't know about.
JH

Post by JH »

Well, IIRC, it tells you how "deep" an episode is in the "thread". For episodes at the end of a thread, the "deeper" it is then the more active that thread has been over the lifetime of the addventure.
JH