Hyphen Buglet

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

JH

Hyphen Buglet

Post by JH »

This is a tiny thing, but annoying. If you include a hyphen in your text, somehow a space gets inserted after it. For instance "knee-cap" come out as "knee- cap".
JH
TCO

Post by TCO »

I've noticed that fairly often. Any idea to what causes it?
...the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. - Dr. Who
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I haven't noticed this. I just tried a test myself [1], and did not see the problem. Do you have an example of where this has occurred, or a reliable way to reproduce the problem?

[1] - http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/ ... isode=1624
JH

Post by JH »

Here's an example:

http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/ ... isode=2599

Look at "knee-cap" in the final sentence.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Okay, I think I have an idea on this one...

I looked at the episode and tried to edit it. I noticed that the word 'knee-cap' was split across two lines in the edit box. I removed the space after 'knee-', hit 'Preview' and the space was gone.

Stumped again at not being able to reproduce the problem, it occurred to me that this might be a browser issue. As I had performed all of my earlier tests with Firefox, I opened up IE and tried to reproduce the problem again. This time, after removing the space and previewing, the space returned. The issue seems be how IE handles hyphenated words acorss line boundaries in the text box. As you are typing the word 'knee-cap' into the text box, IE will immediately wrap the word at the hyphen. When IE submits the contents of the text box, the wrapping is sent as a line break, which gets converted into a space when displayed as HTML.
JH

Post by JH »

Thanks for investigating. So the trick is to arrange things so that a hyphenated word never splits over two lines as the text is being entered.

I've just tried that, inserting the word "that" so that "knee-cap" was no longer split over two lines, and it did the trick.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

If the workaround works for you, that's great. You could also consider adding a line break immediately before the hyphenated word, to ensure the hyphenated word stays all one one line. You could also try creating episodes using another browser. I haven't seen the issue with Firefox, for instance.