Do you self-edit your episodes?

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Noise Tank

Do you self-edit your episodes?

Post by Noise Tank »

And I don't mean just putting it through spell check. Do you really read through it all. I used to not do that, but after reading through them, I realized just how much I change and how much better they become, but I'm curious to know if even MSG, with the Top 10 (And probably 50) longest episodes edits.
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

I read my episodes through immediately after posting, to try to catch any spelling or other mistakes. Occasionally I will notice something else that can be improved and fix that too, but not very often.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Isn't that what spell-check is for?
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

I compose my episodes in Notepad, which doesn't offer spell-checking. Besides, that can offer a false sense of security. If you type "quite" for "quiet", for example, the spell checker won't pick it up.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

But isn't that what reading over it is for?
Execute Order 66
JH

Post by JH »

Yep. All I'm saying is that I do a final read-over after posting.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

I used to have a horrible pet-peeve of reading it over, but now I see it as an opprotunity to fix my mistakes.
Execute Order 66
El' MooCow

Post by El' MooCow »

'Tis why we have the preview button.
Please, by all means, extend any of my episodes. It's good to know someone out there is actually reading the crap I'm writing.
JH

Post by JH »

Yes, there's a Preview button, but I always prefer to get the episode Saved before a crash can occur. It's just as easy to edit the episode after saving it as before.
JH
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

I read through my episodes. After all, that's what I expect the readers to do! :wink:
As for editing, I preview, correct obvious errors and preview again. If I find more errors I repeat the cycle, otherwise I post it and read through it one more time.
As a matter of fact I posted an episode ten minutes ago where I did some corrections after posting. Turned out that I had got a new character's name wrong. It would be great if there was a way to see previous episodes without leaving the editing page.
JH

Post by JH »

Well, you can always open another instance of your browser.
JH
El' MooCow

Post by El' MooCow »

By the way, in terms of spell-checking, you could just use Firefox which has an in-browser spell checker.
Please, by all means, extend any of my episodes. It's good to know someone out there is actually reading the crap I'm writing.