Old email to new emails

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Lots42

Old email to new emails

Post by Lots42 »

A lot of my episodes have my AOL.com email address.

But I no longer have aol.com. I have gmail.com.

Is there any way to make it so when an aol.com episode is continued, it's sent to my gmail.com address?
Jonathan Nolan

Post by Jonathan Nolan »

Isn't that an admin option- revoke edit rights, go in and edit, change email will occur when you edit?
JH

Post by JH »

Yes, as Moderator I could edit the email address of individual episodes, but I would draw the line at doing that for the (at a guess) 5,000 episodes that Lots has written. It might be possible for Sir Toby to write a script that would examine every episode and change any instances of the old address to the new one, but I don't know how easy that would be.

And welcome to the site, Jonathan. I hope you have a lot of fun.
JH
Jonathan Nolan

Cool and hi there!

Post by Jonathan Nolan »

Ah yes the sheer scale you are talking about would make that task NUTS. Oops.

:)

Thanks for the welcome I am having fun so far.

(waves at everyone)

We have put up a version of this program ourselves (sig line - won't spam an advert don't worry) so I am interested to see how this one will continue to develop as well as our own.

We have quite a few fans and users of other stuff so I want to see them take control and tell their own stories to each other. Have to see how well it works out!

-J
JH

Post by JH »

Good luck with your addventure. I'll take a look at it.

Initial thought: Your home page, being rather graphics-intensive, takes a little while to load for those of us not yet on broadband.
JH
Jonathan Nolan

Post by Jonathan Nolan »

I know man but we have to have the graphics. Apologies to everyone not on broadband... But we agonised and decided to go for it. Good news is the excellently written sfotware inside the pretty wrapper is grunty old Extend-a-Story brand goodness and NOT bandwidth sucking. :)
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

I had no ideasuch a thing would be so potentailly complicated. Don't worry about it, then. I'll live without getting my AOL.com episode extension emails.

I won't, however, live without being able to write about Josh Burbank running head-first into walls.
Jonathan Nolan

great hook!

Post by Jonathan Nolan »

:lol:

great hook! Now I must go and investigate Josh Burbank. :)
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: Old email to new emails

Post by Sir Toby »

Lots42 wrote:Is there any way to make it so when an aol.com episode is continued, it's sent to my gmail.com address?
It's a bit of a pain. I've considered adding features to Extend-A-Story where authors could elect to create an account for creating episodes and thus have details, such as their email address, tied into their account instead of individual episodes. That way, changing the email address on the account will update the email address for all episodes.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I think I've found a simpler way to handle this. If you could get me your new email address, I'll update your email address in the episodes where I find it. A public or private message to me would be better than email at this point since my inbox is so swamped with spam that I don't check it as often as I should.
Anableps

Anableps Website move

Post by Anableps »

Sir Toby,

I noticed that you said that you had a spam problem with your e-mail. I sent a message a few weeks ago that my website provider has changed - http://www.carolinachickadee.org/anableps/ is the new URL. With all the spam you might not have seen it, so I am re-posting my request here. If you happen to be working on the site, that might be a good change to make. And while I am asking, could change the title to "A Visitor from the Morninglands"? That might be better, as much of the site deals with the continent beyond the Terel Sea.

And again, thanks for hosting the site! When you wrote the first episode, did you think it would still be active after nearly eight years?
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: Anableps Website move

Post by Sir Toby »

Anableps wrote:I sent a message a few weeks ago that my website provider has changed
I have made the requested change.

While I was there, I noticed that the link to "The Royal Historical Society" was no longer working, so I commented it out. This is in addition to the link to "The Borderlands", which was already commented out. If anyone knows of new URLs for these episode guides, I'd be happy to update the links.
Anableps wrote:When you wrote the first episode, did you think it would still be active after nearly eight years?
I didn't really know what would happen when I started this project. At the time, it was a project I undertook to increase my understanding of writing web applications using ASP. I didn't really think too far ahead as to how long I thought the site would remain active. I was just happy to have the activity that I had at the time.

That being said, I think it is an incredible accomplishment that this site has remained active all these years. It is a testament to the community of authors that continue to contribute. I hope it continues to remain active for years to come.