Would there be anyway to create a system so that user (con)

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Noise Tank

Would there be anyway to create a system so that user (con)

Post by Noise Tank »

can edit there episodes at anytime?

Too many of my old episodes I look back at and see plenty of mistakes, but ones that're not big enough to bother a mod with. I'm wondering if it would be possible to set up an account-like system. One where, if our episode hasn't already been extended, we can log in, and edit our episodes at anytime. Please give your opinions about it.

Thank you.
Execute Order 66
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I have considered extending the account system in Extend-A-Story to allow for authors to have user accounts, in addition to administrators and moderators who already have accounts. The ability to give users enhanced editing capabilities over episodes they have written is one idea that I've considered. There are a variety of other benefits that could come from allowing authors to have user accounts. One benefit involves attaching your notification email address to your user account instead of each individual episode, so if your email address changes you can be notified of episode extensions at your new address simply by updating your user account.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this, particularly the editing feature that has been requested? I've tried to allow edits to occur in a limited fashion, thus giving people a chance to fix mistakes, without opening up a huge door for editing episodes long after they have been posted and breaking continuity, or other mischief. There is likely room for improvement, but I'm curious as to what others think.
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Sir Toby wrote: Anyone else have any thoughts on this, particularly the editing feature that has been requested? I've tried to allow edits to occur in a limited fashion, thus giving people a chance to fix mistakes, without opening up a huge door for editing episodes long after they have been posted and breaking continuity, or other mischief. There is likely room for improvement, but I'm curious as to what others think.
Like I said earlier, I think that once the episode has been extended, you should no longer be allowed to edit it.
Execute Order 66
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

1) Well, we could always give past-episode editing to the veterans, like Pozzo or Reaibn or Rockcandy...

2) But then again, some great episodes have come up because of typos. Witness 'Dargon'.
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

P.S. I think it'd be spiffy if you could update your old email address. For example, I no longer have AOsmelL

And a thought. Maybe old episodes could have it so the episode text is editable but the option fields are not.
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Lots42 wrote:1) Well, we could always give past-episode editing to the veterans, like Pozzo or Reaibn or Rockcandy...
That really isn't fair. If we were to allow past editing, I think we should all have access to this option.

Though, I am against past episode editing. I would only like this option for future episodes, and I stand by what I said; Once the episode has been continued, you may no longer edit it.
Execute Order 66
lordreaibn

Post by lordreaibn »

Lots42 wrote:1) Well, we could always give past-episode editing to the veterans, like Pozzo or Reaibn or Rockcandy...

2) But then again, some great episodes have come up because of typos. Witness 'Dargon'.
Seeing myself mentioned as a veteran warms my soul.
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

It can get pretty complicated.
I once wrote an episode based on a typo in the previous episode. Later I found that the writer (?) had corrected his mistake (possibly because I had pointed it out), which made my episode meaningless. Unfortunately I discovered this too late to change or delete my episode...
JH

Post by JH »

Which episode is it? As moderator, I might be able to do something about it.
JH
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

NEQ 68900. The option leading to it was originally missing an r.
The question is which something to do about it...
JH

Post by JH »

OK, I've restored the typo in the option you took and added Ben's intended text as an additional option in case anyone should wish to take it.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

I'm still very open to this option (As in, an account feature for creating epiosodes.) While my episodes have improve times oceans from the time that I first came here, there are still many I want to go back and fix.
Execute Order 66
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

I like Lots' idea of being able to update old e-mail addresses.

Otherwise, it seems the system that's in place is working just fine. JH is usually pretty reasonable and if you bring something up that you'd like changed, he's usually more than happy to do it.

Of course there are limits.

I say keep things like they are.
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

So IB, why the alt?
Execute Order 66
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

'why the alt?'

Not sure I know what you mean.

But I will say this: perfection is a writer's constant enemy.