Newbie to both Extend-a-story and WebMastering

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Wooster

Post by Wooster »

Thank's a lot Sir-Toby! I'll try it out as soon as possible.
Wooster

Post by Wooster »

It looks like you fixed the stuff with the quotation marks, though on the top of every page I see some code like this...

admin.php‰|»÷[®¢»÷[®¢mBIN‚?Øgeneral.php\á»÷\P»÷\PmBIN‚?ªé

and here's another

general.php\á»÷\P»÷\PmBIN‚?ªé

Should I just delete all of the EAS documents and reload the ones in 2.1.1?
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Uh, wow. Something really broke there. You can try deleting all of the PHP files and uploading all the files from 2.1.1 to see if that fixes it. However, that will cause the background colors to go back to their original settings.

In the meantime, I can try and diagnose what happened. What release did you download, the .tar.gz file or the .zip file? How did you upload admin.php and general.php to the web server?
Wooster

Post by Wooster »

I used the .zip file, and as for uploading I used Tripod's Web-FTP tool.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I just tried downloading the zip file to see if there was anything obviously wrong with the release. Everything appears fine there. However, there are a number of mirrors for downloading releases. Perhaps the mirror you used had a bad file? Do you remember the mirror you used to download the 2.1.1 release?
Wooster

Post by Wooster »

Sorry, I don't remember which one I downloaded from, though I just finnished deleting and reloading the files. and I still get that text.

However, a friend of mine doesn't see that text on the top of each page. And he's a SuperMod.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Hmm... Well, I'm seeing the text on all of your pages. It seems to have gotten worse now that you have replaced the files. I'm not really sure what's going on, but my guess is that some random garbage has worked its way into the files you are working with. Either you got a corrupted download, or the FTP program you are using is corrupting the files you are uploading.

You can check to see if you have a good download by opening up each of the PHP files on your computer in a text editor and verify that you don't see any random garbage. You can probably check the FTP program by renaming the PHP files to TXT files, uploading them, and then opening them in a web browser to verify that you don't see any random garbage.
Wooster

Post by Wooster »

There does appear to be some jumk code at the top of eah page, I'm deleting it as we speak, oh and I found the place I downlaoded the file from

http://flow.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcefo ... .2.1.1.zip

oddly enough though, I just double checked the files on my disk and this junk code doesn't show up.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I just checked out the release from that mirror and it appears to be intact. Since the files appear good on your local machine, but end up corrupted when uploaded to your site, I might suggest that your FTP program isn't working properly. Perhaps you can contact tech support for your host to see if they know what might be going on.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Parse Errors

Post by Sir Toby »

Wooster,

I've noticed that some of the PHP scripts for your story are generating parse errors. Specifically, it looks like admin.php and create.php are currently broke. Those files might have been corrupted in your last upload, and may need to be sent up again.
JH

Post by JH »

Wooster, when you did the FTP upload of the files to your site, is it possible that you told the FTP program that they were "text" when they were "binaries", or vice versa?
JH
Wooster

Post by Wooster »

Nope, but with my short experience with Tripod UK, I have learned just by looking at their home page that they are a glitchy bunch, however, for 50 megs, a MySQL Database, PHP, coutners and all their other add ons, I think that even with it's short comming's it's the best one that suits my needs as of now.