Newbie to both Extend-a-story and WebMastering

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

ODS

Post by ODS »

Woo Hoo!!!!
Gosh, i'm up late, it's 1:18 over here.
What time is it in oregan
Three pages!!!!
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Wooster wrote:Thanks a lot Sir-Toby, You've been a lot of help, I wish there was something I could do to repay you in some way.
I find the fact that you are using the software and contributing notes on your usage of it is payment enough for me. Already your notes have led me to a handful of bugs in Extend-A-Story, as well as several feature requests that will hopefully improve the usage of Extend-A-Story for people that use it down the road.

If you are willing to try out new versions of Extend-A-Story and contribute your notes on them regarding new features that I code up, that would also be quite helpful.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

ODS wrote:Gosh, i'm up late, it's 1:18 over here.
What time is it in oregan
It's a two hour time zone difference, so it's 11:18 PM in Oregon at the time of your post. It's actually 11:35 PM in Oregon right now.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: Newbie to both Extend-a-story and WebMastering

Post by Sir Toby »

Sir Toby wrote:
Wooster wrote:"Modify db.inc to contain the relevant login information for the database you created."

I got totally lost there. There is no db.inc file that I can find but there is a db.sql file so I assumed that that it. Unfortuantly I didn't know what was in it exactly that needed to be changed. I tried searchin on Yahoo these past few days to see If there was any other way that it could be explained (I generally don't like to disturb people so I generally try to research things before I bother people as a last resort. This has become that last resort time)
The readme file is a bit incorrect here. The file you need to edit is actually 'db.php'. It should be in the www directory you setup up above. You will need to take the hostname, username, password, and database name that you acquired in the first step and place them in this file at the appropriate places.
This has been submitted as bug # 847354:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=504948
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: Newbie to both Extend-a-story and WebMastering

Post by Sir Toby »

Sir Toby wrote:Since you don't have access to the command line MySQL client, we'll need to investigate other options for setting up your database. I'll look into what it will take to do it from a PHP script. Perhaps you can check to see if you have some sort of web based interface for interacting with your database.
I have submitted feature request # 847358 for providing a PHP script for creating the Extend-A-Story tables:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=504951
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Wooster wrote:Okay, I did all that up top to the point where it asks for the username and password. When I tried admin for both slots I got an invalid user name and or password message, when I tried it as 'admin' for both I got this message,

Errors Detected
The following fatal errors have occurred. Please contact the site administrator.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unable to query user table in database.

Does that mean I put the stuff in correctly and something else is wrong or what?
I have submitted bug # 847362 for tracking this bug:

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Wooster wrote:But actually that was not origionally why I came back here. I was going to say that I really enjoyed your help Sir-Toby and really enjoy the program and put a link up to your site and if it was possible to change the default color for the new episodes (Mainly to match the color of the main page).
I have submitted feature request # 847368 for creating an interface for modifying the episode color schemes:

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Wooster wrote:so I was wondering if you knew how I could find my password again or atleast reset the login/password protocall thing.
I have submitted feature request # 847371 for providing a PHP script for resetting the admin password:

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Another bug:

Post by Sir Toby »

Wooster: After poking around on your site some more, I noticed that one of the links you've configured in Extend-A-Story looks a bit odd. I see this:
Wooster\'s StoryBook Home
The backslash (\) before the apostrophe shouldn't be there, and is yet another bug that I need to look into.

I have submitted bug # 847375 for tracking this bug:

Wooster

Post by Wooster »

Sir Toby wrote:If you are willing to try out new versions of Extend-A-Story and contribute your notes on them regarding new features that I code up, that would also be quite helpful.
Sure, I'd be more then willing to do that! And thanks!

EDIT: I'm sorry for not responding on this ODS, I didn't see your suggestion for a message board. That actually might not be a bad idea. I'll see what I can cook up.

EDIT 2: Okay I've got a message board, Also I was going about the Extend-A-Story PHP scripts and putting in some basic HTML code to get that shade of Blue that's on the main site, I hope that was okay Sir-Toby. If not, I'll change it back.

EDIT 3: Hey Sir-Toby, How'd you get that nifty background to be an option in the never ending quest?
Wooster

Post by Wooster »

hmm... so I guess this isn't quite like EzBoard where Editing a Post is as good as Double Posting as far as getting it to mark as new so... bump
ODS

Post by ODS »

Ahhh, the glorious "BUMP", a vestive accation in which i shall join.
Well, here i go, Bring Up My Post
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Wooster wrote:hmm... so I guess this isn't quite like EzBoard where Editing a Post is as good as Double Posting as far as getting it to mark as new so... bump
Yeah... Probably should stick with creating a new post if you have something you'd like to add that you want people to see. I didn't notice your edits to your previous post until you bumped the topic up. I would have responded earlier if I had.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Wooster wrote:EDIT 2: Okay I've got a message board, Also I was going about the Extend-A-Story PHP scripts and putting in some basic HTML code to get that shade of Blue that's on the main site, I hope that was okay Sir-Toby. If not, I'll change it back.
You are free to change the code however you like. The thing to remember is that when I release new versions of Extend-A-Story, you will need to be mindful of changes you've made that you may lose when upgrading to the new version. I am working on making it easier to change the look and feel of Extend-A-Story without running into this problem, but it will be a while.
Wooster wrote:EDIT 3: Hey Sir-Toby, How'd you get that nifty background to be an option in the never ending quest?
Way back when I first started The Never Ending Quest, Brian Griffith offered to create some images for me. He created the scroll background, the logo you see on episode 1, and the images for the story links. That particular scheme was configured by hand by me in the database for The Never Ending Quest. If you are able to directly modify your story database, you can configure a similar scheme yourself. Unfortunately there is no PHP script for directly making these modifications, but creating such a script is on my todo list.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

New version released.

Post by Sir Toby »

Wooster,

I've released a new version of Extend-A-Story that should fix the problems you were having with the admin interface. If you want to minimize the amount of work you need to do to upgrade, you only need to replace admin.php and general.php. It is highly recommeneded that you perform this upgrade, as I discovered that the bugs I fixed could lead to security vurnerabilities.