Create a new episode Suggestion

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

ODS

Create a new episode Suggestion

Post by ODS »

I was just thinking that a Spell Check in the Creating episode window would be nice.
That would solve the problem of massive typos.
JH

Post by JH »

I imagine that would be difficult to implenent. You could always write your episode in Word and use its spell cchecker, before pasting into the episode form. (But if you do, then turn off "intelligent punctuation" and the like, as some of the characters that Word uses for this can come out looking weird when viewed with a browser.)
JH
ODS

Post by ODS »

That is what i do at the moment, but it's just irritating going through the process of the spell check, my word does not recognize <P> and <B> and the like.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I can throw it on the list of requested features. There may already be a GPL PHP spell checker out there that I can use. Can't hurt to look.
ODS

Post by ODS »

Thanks Sir toby.
PM me if you have any updates on the spell check.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: Create a new episode Suggestion

Post by Sir Toby »

ODS wrote:I was just thinking that a Spell Check in the Creating episode window would be nice.
That would solve the problem of massive typos.
This has been submitted as feature request # 847349:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=504951
ODS

Post by ODS »

How long does it usualy take for a suggestion to be declined or accepted?
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

There are several factors determining if and when a new feature gets added to Extend-A-Story. My available free time, and personal desire to work on Extend-A-Story are generally the biggest factors.

I generally accept all suggestions for consideration in being added to Extend-A-Story. I will only reject a suggestion if I think it will be harmful to Extend-A-Story. Once I accept a suggestion for consideration, I'll add it to the feature request list at SourceForge. Anyone is welcome to add feature requests to that list directly themselves. I will prune features from this list if I feel they may be harmful to Extend-A-Story.

Extend-A-Story is an open source project, so anyone is welcome to take the code and add their own improvements to it. If you have a feature you really want to see implemented and feel comfortable coding in PHP, you could implement the feature yourself and submit the code to me. If the code closely matches my coding style, this is definiately the fastest way to get the feature implemented.

As I am really the only primary developer for Extend-A-Story, the features will be implemented according to my schedule. My goals are generally to implement the easiest features that are the most useful. Right now it sounds like there is some need for enhancing the ways authors are allowed to edit their episodes. I'm currently trying to get a handle on what sort of changes can be made to best improve the situation.

As far as some sort of schedule for when things will get implemented, I go with the when I feel like it approach to scheduling. My free time is limited. I have a job that takes up most of my time. I also have other open source projects that I contribute to. My development effort on Extend-A-Story has its ups and downs. In short, I'm not going to try to set a schedule for when things will get implemented. They will be ready when they are done.

Hopefully that answers your question... :)
ODS

Post by ODS »

So basicly it's just however long it takes to code.
Damn, i wish i was better at programming(I fixed my clock :mrgreen:)
TCO

Post by TCO »

I'd have a go myself, but it's been several years since I did any programming.
...the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. - Dr. Who
Sareena27

Ready and Willing

Post by Sareena27 »

I currently have the time and the skills to implement some of the features. Is there anything that should be handled first?

Susan
JH

Post by JH »

Welcome to this bulletin board, Susan. I'll need to leave it to Sir Toby to answer your question, but can I entice you into writing any episodes for the story? Or maybe you already have, either anonymously or under a different nom de plume?
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: Ready and Willing

Post by Sir Toby »

Sareena27 wrote:I currently have the time and the skills to implement some of the features. Is there anything that should be handled first?

Susan
Hi Susan,

I'll take a look at the list of requested features to try and prioritize the list according to what I think needs to be worked on first. Of course, if you have preferences for something you would like to work on, it would be acceptable for you to work on that as well.

I'm at work now, so I won't be able to prioritize the feature requests until later tonight.
Sareena27

My Creative Talents

Post by Sareena27 »

I'm not a very good writer (yet!) I'm trying to set something up so my son, neice, and nefew can write stories together.

If you want a sample of how I write:

http://susan.thecatsweb.com/story/read.php

I set it up to be a test bed for Extend-A-Story

Susan
JH

Post by JH »

I hope that you and your family have a lot of fun with it. As a big Don McLean fan, I like your choice of title. :)
JH