Create a new episode Suggestion

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: My Creative Talents

Post by Sir Toby »

Sareena27 wrote:I set it up to be a test bed for Extend-A-Story
I see you've done a great deal of customization of the look and feel of Extend-A-Story. It looks nice. Probably the most important feature for you would be to implement the Style Sheet feature. This will allow Extend-A-Story administrators to easily customize the look and feel of Extend-A-Story, and be able to upgrade their code base to newer versions without losing their look and feel customizations. This feature was requested by another Extend-A-Story administrator who also customized the look and feel for their story.

Implementing this feature is almost certainly a prerequisite to you working on other features. Until this is implemented, I would require all submitted patches to match the look and feel of the default Extend-A-Story configuration, which would cause a lot more work for you by porting the features across two implementations of Extend-A-Story. Implementing the Style Sheet feature first should resolve these issues.

What do you think? If you feel this is a worthwhile feature to start working on, we can discuss an aproach to implementing it. You can join the Extend-A-Story development mailing list here, or we can discuss it on the bulletin board, whichever you prefer.
Sareena27

I'm on it

Post by Sareena27 »

I joined the mailing list so we can move our discussion there.

The first thing I'm doing is moving everything to templates. I'm big into seperation of logic and design. I have no design skills, but I do have friends with them. :)

Susan
Starving Programmer
JH

Post by JH »

Whilst the "techie" stuff is obviously better suited to the SourceForge project mailing list, I think it would be a good idea if you were to duplicate your new feature requests here (or if that would be tedious, then just make them here and rely on Jeff to add them to his list). That way you will get potentially useful feedback from Extend-A-Story users about what they think about any suggested new features.

For example, I see that among the features that you have suggested is the ability to include images in episodes. I have reservations about this, since not everyone is yet on broadband and some people may be paying for their connection time by the minute. Currently episodes are very quick to load, but if people started including images of any size that might change.

Also, assuming that the images would be stored on the Sir Toby site, rather than just linked to (when you'd have the problem that there might come a time when a link no longer worked), then over time that could dramatically increase the storage space required. I don't know whether or not that would be a problem for Jeff.

Obviously both problems could be minimised by setting a maximum size on images, but that would obviously limit their size and/or resolution.

There's also a potential for continuity problems, in that different writers in a thread might have different ideas about how characters or locales should look.
JH