Another Suggestion for Sir Toby

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

ODS

Another Suggestion for Sir Toby

Post by ODS »

Would it be possable to make people have to sign their episodes?
That way we would know who's who.
Thanks,
JH

Post by JH »

But if someone wants to remain anonymous, shouldn't we respect that? Besides, if you made putting something in the sig field compulsory, how would you stop people just putting in different random text for every episode?
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

JH is correct. Making the author field mandatory will only result in crap being placed in there when the author would rather be anonymous. There are two ways I can think of to better track who is creating what episodes.

The first approach is to track the IP address of the person creating the episode. This is not always accurate, as there are issues with proxy servers and what not that can hide the actual IP address. I have never established such a mechanism because I haven't seen enough abuse to warrant doing it.

The second mechanism is to force authors to create an account in order to post episodes. The account would need to be tied to some sort of verifiable information, such as an email address. Every episode that is created will then be tied into one of these accounts. I have never done this since I've always felt that many Extend-A-Story users do not want to be forced to use such a system.

If the views or needs of the community have changed, I am happy to work on additional mechanisms for tracking who is creating each episode. I'm not certain that additional tracking mechanisms are wanted currently.
Last edited by Sir Toby on Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JH

Post by JH »

I'd agree that there's no call to fix what is a non-existent problem. We had one person attempting sabotage a few months ago, but they soon gave up when they realised that the design makes effective sabotage very difficult, especially when a moderator can undo any mischief.

I wouldn't like to see people having to register before they can add to the story. I'd like to think that someone can stumble on the site by accident, quickly and easily write an episode on the spur of the moment with no bureaucracy getting in the way, and become hooked.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Split the topic...

Post by Sir Toby »

I split off the power failure topic to the general Sir-Toby.Com forum. I wanted to leave this topic uncluttered for the discussion of better tracking who creates each episode.