Making Extend-A-Story XHTML 1.1 Compliant

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Making Extend-A-Story XHTML 1.1 Compliant

Post by Sir Toby »

Hello everyone.

Myself and another developer are hammering on the Extend-A-Story code. Our first task is to make the HTML generated by Extend-A-Story compliant with the latest standards. In this case, we're going for XHTML 1.1 compliance.

This is a change that may make Extend-A-Story look bad on older browsers that don't recognize the new standard. Before embarking on changing all of the Extend-A-Story code to the new standard, I've updated the Extend-A-Story documentation to the new standard as a first step. I've linked to the new version of the documentation from the beta test story. You can get to the beta test story from the new link I added to it from the Extend-A-Story main page, or from here:

http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/beta-story/

I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at the new version of the documentation and compare it with the old version, linked to from the Extend-A-Story main page. Both versions should look nearly identical, although there are some slight differences in vertical spacing near the top of each page. Let me know if you have any problems with the new version.

As we work through updating the Extend-A-Story code to be XHTML 1.1 compliant, I will post updates of our progress here. I will ask you to help us test each part of Extend-A-Story as we update it. Thanks in advance for your help in this effort. Once this process is complete, we will begin work on implementing the features that you all have suggested.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I just realized that the new docs weren't working at all on IE. I just fixed it. If you were fast and got to the docs before I fixed it, you might have seen some strange errors.

In other news, I've found that IE doesn't properly center the content for the new docs, like the content in the old docs is. Mozilla centers it properly, but IE does not. It's too late to work on this right now, so I'll research it tomorrow. Let me know if you see any other problems...
JH

Post by JH »

In IE6, SP1, everything in the documents looks fine to me apart from the lack of centering.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

JH wrote:In IE6, SP1, everything in the documents looks fine to me apart from the lack of centering.
I've fixed the problem with the lack of centering in IE. If you could take a look again and verify that it is fixed for you as well, I would appreciate it.

Anyone else have any comments about the new documentation? If I don't hear from you, I'll assume that your browser is rendering the new standard perfectly.

Post by Guest »

At least on the IE5 that we've got at work, it's still not centered. Fine otherwise, though.

JH
Anableps

IE 6.0 SP1 checking in ...

Post by Anableps »

This instance of IE 6.0 SP1 does render the margins in the document now. It did not do so two nights ago.
JH

Post by JH »

At now I'm at home, my IE6 SP1 centres it correctly too.
JH