2016 Extend-A-Story Development Update

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

JH

Post by JH »

flying tiger comics wrote:I've also created a Wikia. I will post that in the ZE thread too. :)
Ah, excellent.
JH
Anableps

Post by Anableps »

I also like the comments idea, but I can imagine comments being abused for commercial spam or general Internet trolling nastiness. The NEQ has not gone to seed in part because of timely moderation, and in part because the regular authors are grown-up in the ways that count.

One thing that I would like to see would be a mirror of the site, so that if something happens, we don't lose everything. Sir-Toby has been very good to us, but sometimes bad things happen.
JH

Post by JH »

One solution to the spam/trolling problem would be to let only registered users comment. OTOH, if anyone can write an episode, then allowing anyone to comment wouldn't seem to make the spam/trolling problem much worse.

One defence against spam is that most spambots probably aren't set up so that they can cope with EAS's non-standard interface. We did get some spam on NEQ a couple of years ago, but whether through luck or for some other reason there hasn't been any recently. One annoying thing with the spam episodes was that they used all ten extension options, and as the software works at present a moderator can only delete them one at a time rather than all in one operation. And an episode can only be deleted after all its extension options have been deleted.
JH
flying tiger comics

Post by flying tiger comics »

Anableps wrote:I also like the comments idea, but I can imagine comments being abused for commercial spam or general Internet trolling nastiness. The NEQ has not gone to seed in part because of timely moderation, and in part because the regular authors are grown-up in the ways that count.

One thing that I would like to see would be a mirror of the site, so that if something happens, we don't lose everything. Sir-Toby has been very good to us, but sometimes bad things happen.
I have plenty of hosting if you want to port a copy over, even if it is just archived regularly and not running. :)