Default Admin Log-in Not Working

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

AlmostRambo

Default Admin Log-in Not Working

Post by AlmostRambo »

This is a really frustrating problem.

I've made several different folders and databases trying to figure out exactly what the problem is. On the last one I made sure to followed the README file exactly in order. I've got about 3 or 4 Stories just kind of hanging around since it won't let me log in.

I get "Invalid login name and/or password." for the Default Admin account.

Has anyone had this problem? How did you fix it? What can I do?

:(
JH

Post by JH »

I'm assuming that what you are asking about relates to your own installation of the Extend-A-Story software. The only person likely to be able to help you with that is the creator of the software, Jeff Weston (aka Sir Toby). He doesn't look in on this forum very often, so I'd advise emailing him, using either the "Send me a message" link on his profile page at Sourceforge here http://sourceforge.net/users/jjweston or to jjweston at gmail dot com.

Good luck! Once you've got your stories up and running please let us know, as new addventures are always of interest.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Unfortunately I don't check here very often and I didn't see an email about this issue so I just saw this post today. I see this was posted a while ago... Have you manged to solve this on your own or are you still having this issue? If you are still having the issue I'll try to help you solve it.

BTW - JH is correct, I don't check this forum very often. The best way to reach me is by emailing me. You can email me using the "email" button on the bottom of my post.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I received a follow-up email regarding this issue. I was able to reproduce the problem with a new install of Extend-A-Story and was able to come up with a solution. I replied via email, but I'm posting the solution here as well for anyone else who runs into the problem.

It turns out that MySQL has changed how the 'password' function works since I first wrote Extend-A-Story. While the function originally returned a 16 character hash of the password, it now returns a 41 character hash of the password. The 'User' table only allows for 16 characters for the password, and thus the password hash is getting truncated. As a result, no one will be able to log in using any password when using the current version of Extend-A-Story on a recent version of MySQL.

Fortunately, there is a simple fix. You need to increase the length of the 'Password' column in the 'User' table and then update the password for all users.

To increase the length of the password column, run the following in MySQL:

Code: Select all

alter table User modify column Password varchar( 255 ) not null;
To update the password for a user, run the following in MySQL (replacing <new password> and <username> as appropriate):

update User set Password = password( '<new password>' ) where LoginName = '<username>';
For example, if you want to change the password of the admin account to the 'change-me' password, you would run the following in MySQL:

update User set Password = password( 'change-me' ) where LoginName = 'admin';
When you perform the above steps, you should now be able to log in.