Bug report

General discussion about Extend-A-Story.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Lots42

Bug report

Post by Lots42 »

Is this the right place for bug reports?

I have a few NEQ episodes saved to favorite places. When going to them I get

Errors Detected
The following fatal errors have occurred. Please contact the site administrator.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unable to insert the session into the database.
- Burbank/Chen 2020. Sexy is as sexy does.
JH

Post by JH »

What do you mean by "saved to favourite places"? I'm not clear what you are trying to do when you get the message: read an episode or post a new episode? If the former, can you give the number of a episode that you can't read. If the latter, can you give an instance of an option that you can't write an extension off. If it's when writing an episode, at what stage do you get the error - when you click on the option that you are trting to take or at some later stage?

How often have you had the error? Is it a recent thing, or have you been getting it for some time? I've never had an error like that myself.

All that said, if it's a genuine error then only Sir Toby will be able to shed any light on it.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Re: Bug report

Post by Sir Toby »

Lots42 wrote:Is this the right place for bug reports?
This is an excellent place for bug reports.
Lots42 wrote:I have a few NEQ episodes saved to favorite places. When going to them I get

Errors Detected
The following fatal errors have occurred. Please contact the site administrator.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unable to insert the session into the database.
I actually saw this error for the first time myself yesterday. While it is unfortunate that it was not an isolated incident, it is useful to know that other people are having the same problem. Thank you for reporting the issue.

I have a theory about what is causing the problem. Unfortunately, if my theory is correct, it will not be an easy problem to resolve. My theory is that this error is the result of a scalability problem with Extend-A-Story. If too many people are using Extend-A-Story at one time, it is likely that this error will show up. I believe we are suddenly seeing this error due to the number of search engines that are suddenly indexing the hell out of my site for some reason.

The resolution is to re-write portions of Extend-A-Story so that it is capable of dealing with a large number of concurrent users. While performing this work is on my list of things to do, there are other tasks I need to take care of first. I will post another forum topic detailing the current work I am doing so everyone can see what I am working on.

In the meantime, if you get this error, you can try refreshing the page until the error goes away. If you get this error often, make sure you have cookies enabled for Sir-Toby.Com. If you have cookies enabled you should never see this error unless you use Extend-A-Story for the first time on a different computer.

Let me know if you continue to see this error or if the above suggestions don't work for you.
Lots42

Post by Lots42 »

1) I'm not getting the errors anymore.

2) I save some good starting episodes to my bookmarks list.

3) Josh Burbank is weird.
- Burbank/Chen 2020. Sexy is as sexy does.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Lots42 wrote:1) I'm not getting the errors anymore.
That's good. Maybe the search engines backed off. Or perhaps you just got really (un)lucky that one time.
Lots42 wrote:2) I save some good starting episodes to my bookmarks list.
Yeah, I do that too now that I am writing episodes again. There's just too many options when thinking about the story as a whole, so I like to make a note of some interesting starting points for episodes I want to write.
Lots42 wrote:3) Josh Burbank is weird.
Yes. Yes, he is.