The Black Void?

Discussion about The Black Void.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

Roanna wrote:I am hoping the Black Void is live today. I've been checking every day this Thanksgiving break and hoping to do some serious writing. I think I did some of my best interactive story work for the Black Void. I think Josh did some of his best too.

Roanna/EHK
I'm working on it... There always seems to be so much to do...

Opening it up today might be pusing it. Tomorrow is much more realistic. I'll see what I can do.
Lost Soldier (Ib)

Post by Lost Soldier (Ib) »

I look forward to seeing this new story!
All I know is that I don't know anything.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Starting Soon

Post by Sir Toby »

We're almost there. I have opened up The Black Void for read-only access. You can read the story here: http://www.sir-toby.com/extend-a-story/story-2/

There are still a few things remaining for me to do with the story. I will open up The Black Void for episode creation some time tomorrow morning. I will post a reply to this topic once it is open.
Keegan (Guest)

Post by Keegan (Guest) »

Wow! I didn't realize there would be so many new themes to go along with this story! Awesome. 8)

I somehow get the feeling that I'll wind up writing more for the Black Void than the Never Ending Quest, merely because TBV is smaller right now and I won't get overwhelmed by all that's already been established in the story. Anyways, can't wait for it to open for writing!
Keegan (Guest)

Post by Keegan (Guest) »

I just noticed a minor, though large enough to be noticable, mistake in the story. Among the third-person female characters, one option is Samantha the elf, yet the episode it leads to refers to the character as Sarah the elf. I'm sure this wouldn't be too difficult to fix.
JH

Post by JH »

Thanks, Keegan. I'll make sure that that gets corrected.
JH
TCO

Post by TCO »

I know this just a minor quibble, but in episode 23 there's a word spelt 'screamx' instead of 'screams'.

Sorry if this seems too picky.
...the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. - Dr. Who
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

TCO wrote:I know this just a minor quibble, but in episode 23 there's a word spelt 'screamx' instead of 'screams'.
Fixed it. Thanks for the heads up.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

The Black Void is OPEN

Post by Sir Toby »

The Black Void is OPEN.

Over five years in the making, The Black Void is now open and accepting new episodes.
Lost Soldier (Ib)

Awesome! As always, thanks for your devotion to the site, Sir Toby. And BTW, the backgrounds are completely awesome in a totally radically righteous way, dude!
Keegan

Post by Keegan »

Yay! I've already written a couple of episodes for it. Thank you for getting this set up, Sir Toby! And thank you, Josh Bieber and Roanna, for writing so many great starting episodes. You guys are great. :)
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

And thanks also goes out to JH for organizing everything for me during the past week or so.

Post by Guest »

Thankyou Sir-Toby.

And too bad Josh is down in Philadelphia with family missing all the fun going on in here.

I got a book on the history of the square root of minus one. It is slow going. You engineering types would have better luck than a poor old middle aged artsie (Corenell Arts and Sciences). I kind of know how the square root of minus one pops out of regular mathematics and that it is actually uuseful for something practical.

By the way the Math 12X piece is completely autobiographical. Math 12X is what today would be Math 4 (in New York State and it now has a regents exam of its own which it did not in 1978/79) and I was sitting in the front row of Mr. Einhorn's Math 12X class in 1978-79. I was an alienated and unhappy teenager who had turned to morbid fancies as I called them. Today I would call it mysticism. Mysticism can be a highly adaptive response, but I'll save that for the fiction.

I'm on the desk tomorrow though it is likely to be busy with high school students. If I have time I'll chew some more on the history of i book and see if what I read helps the practical end of the thread.
JH

Post by JH »

I was intrigued by the thread because it was so quirky and so different from everything else, but it's difficult to come up with a plot for it (unless one leaves the initial premise behind).

It's true that imaginary numbers do have applications in the real world. They are used by electrical engineers for instance (I think in connection with capacitance). For some reason, they tend to use "j" as the symbol rather than "i", though.

There are arguably 5 fundamental constants in mathematics: 0, 1, pi, e and i. This beautiful equation, known as Euler's Identity links all five:

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0 (where ^ means raise to the power).

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_identity

Benjamin Pierce, after proving the formula in a lecture, said, "Gentlemen, that is surely true, it is absolutely paradoxical; we cannot understand it, and we don't know what it means. But we have proved it, and therefore we know it must be the truth."

Now from the sublime to the practical: Being a Brit, I'm not familiar with the US school system, so I hope it was realistic to have Mr Jones address our heroine by her first name and for her to call him "Mr Jones". How old would our heroine be, if she's in 12X?
JH
Lost Soldier (Ib)

Duh....what? I have trouble grasping basic algebra. Thanks for making me feel stupid. Not that I need any help feeling stupid or anything. :cry:

As far as pie goes, my favorite is cherry. *If* it's homemade. I think I'm going to go crawl in a hole and die now.