How did you find Sir-Toby.Com/Extend-A-Story?

General discussion about anything on Sir-Toby.Com that isn't covered by another forum.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

El' MooCow

How did you find Sir-Toby.Com/Extend-A-Story?

Post by El' MooCow »

Simple question in the title. How did you find this fun little place.

Really, I got into Addventures when my friend Carl gave me a link to Storyscape. I got into that for a little while, but the site became more and more inactive over time, so I eventually got over that one. They had a link on their site to The Addventurers, which claims to be the original addventure, but is actually inactive in that you couldn't add new episodes at all.

So, looking for more information about the addventure craze, I searched for it on Wikipedia, and it actually does have a page, and there I found a link to Extend-A-Story, and I still come here(Though usually in short burts where I make a bunch of episodes and then leave for weeks, rather than being a steady member.)

This was my favourite Extend-A-Story so far (I'd looked at a few others) as this one had a friendly but small community, and I liked that the hero was an actual character rather than 'You'.

Well, that's my story, which can be dumbed down to 'I found a link on the Wikipedia page for Addventure'.

So, how did you find Extend-A-Story/Sir-Toby.com?
Please, by all means, extend any of my episodes. It's good to know someone out there is actually reading the crap I'm writing.
MSG

Post by MSG »

Myself, I found out about this place in the last days of Game 3 before it finally got shut down to where nothing new could be added. Failed to immediately write anything here but jumped into it well enough after someone (Wolfrun) wrote off of my first first few episode (321 under the pen name of E. Nigma) kind of got me started here.

The result was a LOT of episodes of mind with rather rambling plots (subplots) and whatnot. :roll:
MSG
JH

Post by JH »

I too heard about Extend-A-Story in the last few days of Addventure Game 3, and just a day or two after EAS started. I think that Jeff posted to the Addventure mailing list about it.
JH
El' MooCow

Post by El' MooCow »

So how'd you guys find out about Addventure, then?
Please, by all means, extend any of my episodes. It's good to know someone out there is actually reading the crap I'm writing.
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

I don't quite remember how I found this place, guess I found a link somewhere. On the other hand I remember pretty accurately how I got into interactive fiction in the first place.
During my first years online I got into MUCKs, and I've still got a handful of characters hanging around though they are mostly hibernating these days. One day I tried Googling for the names of some of my characters, and when I got to one who isn't mentioned on the site above (she has her own site) the results included something that looked like part of a story with a pretty high chapter count. I had discovered the Unending BE Addventure.
After exploring a bit back and forth from my point of entry I wrote my first chapter in January 2001, establishing a signature that has been responsible for a lot of mustelid weirdness since then.
(A little warning, that site is pretty... weird, and it shows in some of my contributions too.)
Last edited by Won-Tolla on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
JH

Post by JH »

El' MooCow wrote:So how'd you guys find out about Addventure, then?
Somebody told me about it. That must have been nine or ten years ago.
JH
MSG

Post by MSG »

Ah, well I found Addventure originally through some kind of internet search. It hit upon one of the episodes where Scott got transformed into something else that's about that...
MSG
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

I found this place through aimless meander-esque searching, and almost lost it again two minutes later.

I always liked Addventure, but I got into it pretty much as it was going 'into liquidation'. Fast forward six years, and I find Extend-A-Story. Then I turned my computer off (this is a computer that randomly deletes your history every four hours or so). The next day I realised I couldn't remember a thing about this site - the address, or what I'd hammered into the search engine in order to find it.

Persistence prevailed, and I am perfectly pleased, per se.
JH

Post by JH »

Good. :)

If you should ever lose the site again, there's an "addventure" article at Wikipedia that includes a link to it.
JH
Ben McClellan II

Post by Ben McClellan II »

If I remember correctly, I think Lots42 told me about NEQ at some point after Addventure shut down Game 3, and before Horsehockey opened up in fall of 1999. I didn't really start contributing here until late summer of 2003.

By the way, I may need to edit parts of Wikipedia's article (right here), since it says that Josh Burbank debuted in Addventure, which isn't true. He was the original main character for Horsehockey.
Twitter: @benmcclellan

Horsehockey v5.0: Ongoing! horsehockey dot ORG
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

I found addventure, game 3, sometime in 1996. I added a handful of eps, including, among others, Mr. Doom and his tower. Scott Chen will always have a special place in my heart.

It was really a fun time for me, during a time when the internet was still young. Great stuff. It strikes me as mildly humorous that the same message "No new rooms (just for a bit)" has been up for as long as I can remember now. Good times.

I found THIS place, I do believe, due to a mailer I was subscribed to with Game 3. Someone recommended this place in one of the e-mails. It might have been Lots42, perhaps someone else. I immediately fell in love and have been frequenting the site ever since.

It's a pretty great format, with a wide spectrum of additions.

MSG's stuff is probably the most insane. I give props to the guy, but he simply goes too fast with his stuff for anyone to keep up, really. More power to him. I think it gives his creative mind an outlet of sorts. He seems to be deep into the fan-fiction stuff.
JH

Post by JH »

Welcome back!
JH
Hi! My name is Ib!

Post by Hi! My name is Ib! »

Why thank you, my myopic friend from across the pond! :P
Won-Tolla

Post by Won-Tolla »

Hi! My name is Ib! wrote: It strikes me as mildly humorous that the same message "No new rooms (just for a bit)" has been up for as long as I can remember now.
It's just a very big bit. :wink:
Jonathan Nolan

Post by Jonathan Nolan »

I googled Interactive Fiction looking for something quite different, found it, lost patience with it, found this haven, did Jack's Sofa as a result using the creative commons software and have never looked back