PHP Errors on Extend-A-Story and the phpBB Forums

General discussion about anything on Sir-Toby.Com that isn't covered by another forum.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Sir Toby
Site Admin

PHP Errors on Extend-A-Story and the phpBB Forums

Post by Sir Toby »

Everyone,

JH informed me via email that he was seeing errors on both Extend-A-Story and on the phpBB forums. Here is an example of the error:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 3840 bytes) in Unknown on line 0
I did some experimentation this morning to try and determine what was going wrong. You may have seen some errors earlier today due to the experimentation I was doing.

As best as I can tell, there is something going on within PHP that is using more than 8 megs of memory. I'm not sure what, and all of my attempts to reproduce this problem have been unsuccessful. Eventually I just wrote a test script that uses a bunch of memory and confirmed that I was able to get the same error.

When I researched this issue, I found that PHP by default limits itself to 8 megs of memory. I have increased this limit to 16 megs. I have confirmed that this works using the test script I wrote that uses a bunch of memory. Hopefully this fixes the problems we were having.

Please let me know if you see any errors with Extend-A-Story or the phpBB forums.