Possible Absence

General discussion about anything on Sir-Toby.Com that isn't covered by another forum.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

JH

Possible Absence

Post by JH »

If I'm not around much in the next few days, I'm not ignoring Extend-A-Story. We have a heatwave here, and my PC processor is overheating, causing nasty crashes.
JH
TCO

Post by TCO »

Your PC is not the only thing that feels like crashing in this weather.

Is there any way you can cool it off?
...the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. - Dr. Who
JH

Post by JH »

Not really. I suspect the problem may be that the processor is an AMD. ISTR reading that they are more prone to overheating than Intel.
JH
MSG

How about this?

Post by MSG »

Hi John,

Perhaps another way around this might be in order. I've seen in the electronic stores little CPU fans that can be bought and installed (aftermarket) into the case right over the cpu unit itself. It might help distribute the heat away from the AMD cpu enough where crashes don't happen as often.

At least that's the idea...
MSG
JH

Post by JH »

That's a possibility. Though I'm fine with software, I'm the sort opf person who only has to see a screwdriver to break out into a sweat, so I may contact a local computer dealer/repairer to see what they recommend - whether fan or replacing the processor chip - and to get the job done.
JH
Noise Tank

Post by Noise Tank »

Wish I could help, but I'm not really a computer person :(
Execute Order 66
Lost Soldier (Ib)

Post by Lost Soldier (Ib) »

A heatwave in Britain? Aren't you guys on the same latitude as friggin Alaska?

Sheesh. It's completely mild here in Kentucky. Low 80s and heavy rain.

Say hello to global warming!

Or is a heatwave in Britain anything above 78 Farenheit?
All I know is that I don't know anything.
Anableps

Climate

Post by Anableps »

The British Isles are at the same latitudes as Alberta in Canada. Norway better corresponds to the latitudes of the main part of Alaska.

Western Europe is warmer in the winter than Alberta due to the Gulf Stream, which warms that part of the Atlantic and the North Sea. Large bodies of water like the Atlantic Ocean also keep the temperatures from becoming as extreme as those in places like Edmonton, which hit 90 F today and will probably see lots of days below 0 F this winter. (Someone there once told me that "40 below keeps the riff-raff out.")

One thing to consider is the presence of central air conditioning. In places where it only gets hot for about two weeks out of the year, it is not built in some houses in order to save costs. Those two weeks are not a lot of fun, though.
JH

Post by JH »

Yep, air conditioning in homes is a rarity here. In recent days, the maxima in my part of England have been in the 86-90F region.
JH
JH

Post by JH »

The heatwave is back, so I may not be around much for the next 2-3 days.
JH
sneakypreacher

Post by sneakypreacher »

I was having the same problem JH...so I moved my entire computer desk to the other side of the room where an air conditioner vent was located...no problems after that...lol.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I had the same problems with the Sir-Toby.Com server, as many will likely remember. Ironically enough, my server is also powered by an AMD processor...

In my last residence, a window air conditioner mostly solved the problem. Now I have central air, and no problems.