Migrating Sir-Toby.Com to New Hosting Provider

General discussion about anything on Sir-Toby.Com that isn't covered by another forum.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

The time has finally come to migrate Sir-Toby.Com to the new hosting provider. I have finished all of my preparation and testing, and everything is good to go. I expect the migration to take two to three hours. I will have to take down Sir-Toby.Com during the migration. During this time you will see a "down for maintenance" page if you try to access any web page on Sir-Toby.Com.

I plan to start the migration on Monday, November 12th, 2012 at 6:00 PM UTC (10:00 AM PST).

If anything changes, I will update this thread.
JH

Post by JH »

Thanks for the heads up. As I'm on UTC here, I'll know not to panic if the site is down on Monday evening. Presumably I will then experience an additional delay of unpredictable length (but hopefully fairly short) until my ISP's domain name servers update to reflect the change.
JH
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

I've tried to factor in the DNS propagation delay into my estimate of the migration time. I figure about an hour for my work and maybe an hour or two for DNS propagation. But you are correct, there are variables outside my control, such as for how long your ISP will cache the old DNS information for Sir-Toby.Com. Hopefully the delay isn't too terrible.
Sir Toby
Site Admin

Post by Sir Toby »

The migration is complete. If you can read this message, you are seeing Sir-Toby.Com on its new server.

One thing to note as part of this migration is that the email address that is used to send email notifications from Sir-Toby.Com has changed. The new address is: sir-toby@sir-toby.com

Please make a note of this change. If your email provider marks emails from Sir-Toby.Com as spam, you may need to add this new address to your address book.

I've done my best to ensure that everything is working, but if you see anything amiss, please be sure to let me know.
JH

Post by JH »

Looking good so far. :)
JH