Captif

General discussion about anything on Sir-Toby.Com that isn't covered by another forum.

Moderator: Extend-A-Story Moderators

Jonathan Nolan

Captif

Post by Jonathan Nolan »

http://captif.wikidot.com/

tried something a bit different and started a wikidot interactive fiction thingy...

if anyone's interested please join up and give it a go. :)

Jack's Sofa is still around, all those projects are still going. Just trying something else too. :)

J
JH

Post by JH »

Thanks for the "heads up". BTW, did you notice Sir Toby's important new poll (another thread in this forum)?
JH
JH

Post by JH »

I've had a look around the new game. I've been thinking for some time that a Wiki might be a good way of setting up an addventure. One possible problem is that it makes creating backlinks very easy, which could be problematic for continuity when two or more different branches backlink to the same place.

At the moment, the flavour seems to be rather more that of an old style text adventure (one "d") game, with puzzles to be solved if you want to progress, rather than an addventure (two "d"s). That may of course change as the story develops.

Anyway, good luck with it.
JH
Jonathan Nolan

Post by Jonathan Nolan »

Thanks. :) The backlinking issue I see as a two edged sword- definitely it makes the backlinking thing a curse and a blessing but I think it's more of a blessing. It lets people cooperatively edit away mistakes or make changes to create a stable continuity if that's how people want to go.

Plus you can add pictures and video which is my eventual intention for the pages I do- I will be adding consistent 3D pictures for all the locations, sounds, interaction, flash games and so on.

I wanted a MYST type approach to begin with because that's easier than action.

With permissions customised you can make some pages hard and fast and unable to be easily backed out of or circumvented as well. ;)

J