The Ruling of the Judge

From: Aron Wall (aron_at_wall.org)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 21:05:45 PST

One full week has come and gone since the start of the round.  No
fantasy rules were submitted during this time.  This raises the question
of what happens in this circumstance--as far as I know a first in FRC
history (please correct me if I am wrong about this since I have not
paid much attention to the game for a great many rounds).

This is my interpretation of the Regular Ordinances on the question.  By
RO #4 all FRC members besides myself were eligible for 7 days starting
from the beginning of the round.  They therefore have all become
ineligible *simultaneously*.  It follows that at no time was there
exactly one member of the FRC eligible.

RO #5 reads:
"End of Game. If at any time after the seventh day of a round, there is
only one person eligible to play, then
(a) all current fantasy rules are repealed
(b) the round ends
(c) the sole remaining player is declared winner of the just ended round
and becomes Judge."

Now does the End of Game condition apply?  In order for it to do so,
there would have had to be only one player eligible to play at some
time, which was not the case.  I cannot consider "only one" to include
the case of zero eligible players, since this would not be a natural
interpretation of the language, and besides effect c presumes that there
exists a "sole remaining player".  So RO #5 does NOT come into effect.

I therefore conclude that even though no players are eligible, Round 233
continues nonetheless, and lasts for all eternity, or until this
circumstance is remedied by proposal.

233:1 attempts to circumvent this problem by redefining the notion of
elapsed time in such a way that players are still eligible.  This
attempt fails.  According to RO #1, "Fantasy rules shall have no effect
on play except as provided for in the regular ordinances." Now
eligibility is a function of gameplay controlled by the Regular
Ordinances, and cannot be tampered with by the rules (except in the
ordinary way that VALID and INVALID rules extend or reduce
eligibility).  And in any case, no fantasy rule can be allowed to
circumvent the Regular Ordinances--this is the domain of Overrule
Proposals or Amendments.

In fact 233:1 and 233:2 are not even fantasy rules.  "Only those persons
eligible to play may post fantasy rules" (RO #3).  I must interpret them
as VOID, i.e. not really fantasy rules.  As such they are neither VALID
or INVALID, and recieve no style points.

At this point the only way to save the FRC from death is by means of a
Proposal, which either Overrules / Amends the RO's to allow a way out
(RO #9), or changes my decision on the issue as delivered in this
posting (RO #8).

Aron Wall