Round 227 final summary

From: Ed Murphy (emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 02:18:44 PDT

Round 227 final summary

Jeremy Selengut is the Judge and Wizard of Round 228.

Player                Eligible until          Style
Mark Nau              Wed 22 Sep 18:17:13     +1.0
Jeremy Selengut       Wed 22 Sep 20:51:48     +5.0
cleonhard_at_cox.net     Wed 22 Sep 19:51:52     +3.0
everyone else         Wed 22 Sep 18:17:13     +0.0

Proposal              Submitted               Result
Override 227.A        Wed 15 Sep 18:35:23     Failed (0 for, 0 against)

[227:1]

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 11:17, Mark Nau wrote:

> Knights always attempt to tell the truth.
> Knaves always attempt to lie.
> Jesters always attempt to deceive.

No problems.  VALID.

+1.0 theme
+0.5 "attempt to"
-0.5 no direct restrictions on future rules
----
+1.0 overall style

[227:2]

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 11:53, Jeremy Selengut wrote:

> Rules may be of only one of three types:
>
> A) Like this one, one which defines the types of rules allowed in this
> round.
>
> B) Like 227:1, ones which define the attributes and/or characteristics
> of the various classes of individuals which may appear in the rules of
> this round.
>
> C) Like the next rule, ones in which particular human characters
(being
> members of one and only one of the classes defined in rules of type B)
> are introduced, speak, act and interact with their (fantasy) physical
> world.

No problems.  VALID.

+1.0 theme
+0.5 obeys own restriction
+0.5 both all-rules and the-next-rule restrictions
+0.5 forces the knights/knaves/jesters to actually say something
+0.5 being devious (I'll explain this once the round is over)
----
+3.0 overall style

[227:3]

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 12:51, cleonhard_at_cox.net wrote:

> Two young men stood along a roadway, watching a traveler approach.
>
> "Hark," said the first, "a Knight approaches!"
>
> "Ha!" laughed the traveler as he drew closer, "I can see that *you*
are no Knight, for *I* certainly am not! Canst thou not tell a Knave
from a Knight?"

> The second young man, on hearing this, replied "He can, when he sees
one." Handing the traveler a sealed letter, he went on. "So long as
you're traveling in that direction, perhaps you'd be so good as to
deliver this letter. It's the next rule, and it explains which of us is
the Jester, which the Knave, and which the Knight."

> "No, it won't," countered the first.

Obeys 227:2.  Not self-contradictory.  VALID.

+1.0 theme
+1.0 compound statements
+1.0 quasi-restricts next rule
----
+3.0 overall style

[227:4]

> Lester (the Jester) delivered the letter to the King saying,
>
> Your majesty:
>
> A parcel from my purse I'll give to you
> For I know not who else to give it to.
> I know not the knot to open it
> Neither could I read it, not a bit.
> I know not the Knight from whom it came
> Nor the Knave, his companion, am I to blame?
>
> Now the Knave his visage was passing fair
> (I should have liked to tarry there!)
> But the Knight from me his face was hid
> Not by night but by his visor lid.
> Any more I may have forgot, it is true
> I've got amnesia, a head cold and deja vu.

Not incompatible with 227:3.  VALID.

+1.0 theme
+0.5 flavor details regarding the (purported) knight and knave
+0.5 poetry
----
+2.0 overall style

[227:A]

(1) For the duration of Round 227, each player is either an Insane
    Knight or a Sane Knave.

(2) The second sentence of RO6, namely

    If a fantasy rule is inconsistent with itself, previously posted
    valid fantasy rules, or the regular ordinances, then the Judge
    shall declare that rule invalid or unsuccesful, otherwise e shall
    declare it valid.

shall be replaced for Round 227 with

    If a fantasy rule is inconsistent with itself, previously posted
    valid fantasy rules posted by sane knaves, or the regular
    ordinances, or is consistent with all previously posted valid
    fantasy rules posted by insane knights (provided at least one such
    rule exists), then the Judge shall declare that rule invalid or
    unsuccessful, otherwise e shall declare it valid.

(3) RO6a, namely

6a. A fantasy rule can only be declared unsuccesful if the only rule or
    rules it is inconsistent with are other fantasy rules for which it
    is reasonable to assume that the poster of the rule had not seen
them
    before e posted the rule.

shall be replaced for Round 227 with

6a. A fantasy rule can only be declared unsuccessful if the only rule
    or rules posted by sane knaves it is inconsistent with are other