Re: 209:9 -- VALID, +1.0

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 07:31:37 PDT

Ed Murphy <emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com> writes:

> > Ha ha ha ha ha, I kill myself!
>
> I wish you would, you smart-ass.
>
> All future rules must include an /ad hominem/ attack.  And if you don't
> know what that is, because you don't speak Latin... there are no words.
>
> --
> Rule Date: 2003-05-27 04:21:36 GMT

VALIDITY: Quotes the preceding rule and indicates assent, but is "Ha
ha ha ha ha, I kill myself!" sarcasm, and is "I wish you would, you
smart-ass" a comment on the sarcasm of that sentence?  I'm not at all
sure it is, but it's a grey area and I'll give the benefit of the
doubt.  VALID.

STYLE: I'd be inclined to award higher style if the above grey area
had been avoided and if the restriction were one that hadn't been
proposed twice already.  +1.0.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY