Round 208 summary

From: Ed Murphy (emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 11:18:30 PDT

Round 208 summary
Theme:  The FRC Reloaded

Player                 Eligible until         Style

Alan Riddell           Sun 18 May 03:16:30    +1.0
dallas368_at_comcast.net  <ineligible>           -2.0
Joshua                 Fri 16 May 09:17:05    +1.0
Matthew Schuler        <ineligible>           +0.0
Richard Holmes         Mon 19 May 13:25:45    +2.0

Rule   Player                 Date                  Ruling  Style

208:1  Matthew Schuler        Wed  7 May 21:19:15    VALID  +0.0
208:2  Joshua                 Thu  8 May 01:31:24  INVALID  -1.0
208:3  Joshua                 Fri  9 May 09:17:05    VALID  +2.0
208:4  Alan Riddell           Sun 11 May 03:16:30    VALID  +1.0
208:5  Richard Holmes         Mon 12 May 13:25:45    VALID  +2.0
208:6  dallas368_at_comcast.net  Mon 12 May 22:15:35  INVALID  -1.0
208:7  dallas368_at_comcast.net  Mon 12 May 23:23:36  INVALID  -1.0

208:1

 > All rules must have a descriptor of "Dust", "Wind", or "Dude".

208:2

 > This is the first rule in round 208 of the Fantasy Rules Committee. All
 > valid rules must be posted after it.

Contradicts itself, as well as 208:1.

208:3

 > Dust ox-wally 001
 >
 > Each future rule may only use one of the three allowable descriptors
 > depending on what aspect of the reloaded committee they will explain.
 > For example all "Dust rules" will detail limits to the privileges
 > granted organix (organic entities) in the reloaded committee.
 >
 > Valid rules composed by organix cannot be overridden by other organix
 > orginated rules and remain in force for all members until countermanded
 > by an agent's rule.
 >
 > As required, this rule is uniquely identified on it's first line by a
 > label including descriptor and identity of it's poster.
 >
 > sincerely,
 > organix wally.

208:4

 > Dude, his Dudeness Peekee 2001
 >
 > You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man
 >
 > I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness.
 > Or El Duderino, if,you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.
 >
 > Johnson?
 >
 > This could be a lot more uh, uh, uh, complex, I mean it just might, it
 > might not be such a simple, uh, you know?

208:5

 > Each rule carrying only the Wind descriptor must deal with a real or
 > potential temporal anomaly, or violation of causality, within the rule
 > set.  This rule, for example, addresses the following excerpt from
 > 208:3:
 >
 > > As required, this rule is uniquely identified on it's first line by a
 > > label including descriptor and identity of it's poster.
 >
 > Since this rule is VALID, we know the above requirement must exist.
 > Furthermore, since rule 208:1 is VALID (and this rule, we assume, will
 > also be judged VALID), we know this requirement must not apply to all
 > rules.  And of course, none of the VALID rules to date actually
 > imposes such a requirement.  Therefore we have a causality crisis in
 > which, in order to maintain consistency, some rule after 208:3 must
 > impose the requirement cited in 208:3.
 >
 > And indeed, we find in this very rule the following:
 >
 >   A rule is a Wind rule if and only if it has the "Wind" descriptor.
 >   Each non-Wind rule must be uniquely identified on its first line by
 >   a label including descriptor and identity of its poster.  No Wind
 >   rule may carry such identification.
 >
 > The gratuitous apostrophes in the earlier citation of this rule can
 > only be attributed to reverse temporal distortion.

I interpret 208:1 as having all three descriptors.

I interpret the excerpt of 208:3 as placing a requirement only on 208:3.

According to 208:5, 208:1 is a Wind rule, and thus it may not carry
a label as described.  Which it doesn't, because the first line of
208:1 does not include the identity of its poster.

In short, I interpret that everything in 208:5 is consistent and correct,
though not necessarily in the way or for the reasons intended by the author.

208:6

 > All future rules must, for some reason, do one of the following:
 >
 > - Dodge a bullet
 > - Jump across a gap between skyscrapers
 > - Run on a wall
 >
 > In addition, all future "Dude" rules must be written in the form of a haiku.
 >
 > -- Agent Unum

According to 208:5,

* this is not a Wind rule;

* therefore, the first line must contain exactly one of (Dust, Dude)
   along with the identity of the poster.

208:7

 > Agent Unum Reporting:
 >
 > All future rules must, for some reason, do one of the following:
 >
 > - Dodge a bullet
 > - Jump across a gap between skyscrapers
 > - Run on a wall
 >
 > In addition, all future "Dude" rules must be written in the form of a haiku.
 >
 > -- Agent Unum

According to 208:5,

* this is not a Wind rule;

* therefore, the first line must contain exactly one of (Dust, Dude)
   along with the identity of the poster.

It contains the identity, but not the descriptor.