208:5 VALID +2.0 Style

From: Ed Murphy (emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 11:07:52 PDT

Richard Holmes wrote:

>Each rule carrying only the Wind descriptor must deal with a real or
>potential temporal anomaly, or violation of causality, within the rule
>set.  This rule, for example, addresses the following excerpt from
>208:3:
>
> > As required, this rule is uniquely identified on it's first line by a
> > label including descriptor and identity of it's poster.
>
>Since this rule is VALID, we know the above requirement must exist.
>Furthermore, since rule 208:1 is VALID (and this rule, we assume, will
>also be judged VALID), we know this requirement must not apply to all
>rules.  And of course, none of the VALID rules to date actually
>imposes such a requirement.  Therefore we have a causality crisis in
>which, in order to maintain consistency, some rule after 208:3 must
>impose the requirement cited in 208:3.
>
>And indeed, we find in this very rule the following:
>
>   A rule is a Wind rule if and only if it has the "Wind" descriptor.
>   Each non-Wind rule must be uniquely identified on its first line by
>   a label including descriptor and identity of its poster.  No Wind
>   rule may carry such identification.
>
>The gratuitous apostrophes in the earlier citation of this rule can
>only be attributed to reverse temporal distortion.

I interpret 208:1 as having all three descriptors.

I interpret the excerpt of 208:3 as placing a requirement only on 208:3.

According to 208:5, 208:1 is a Wind rule, and thus it may not carry
a label as described.  Which it doesn't, because the first line of
208:1 does not include the identity of its poster.

In short, I interpret that everything in 208:5 is consistent and correct,
though not necessarily in the way or for the reasons intended by the author.

VALID, +2.0 Style.