Round 204 final summary

From: Ed Murphy (emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 20:44:46 PST

Round 204 final summary

Player              Eligible until           Style

Richard Holmes      Sun 16 Mar 13:17:03      +1.5
Mark Nau            Mon 17 Mar 18:09:06      +0.5
Steve Gardner       Tue 18 Mar 04:22:26      +2.0  *** new Judge and Wizard ***
Joshua              Mon 17 Mar 03:58:31      +1.5

everyone else       Mon 17 Mar 13:17:03      +0.0

----- 204:1 by Richard -----

>     : "                        ."
>    : "                                   ?"
>     : "                !"
>    : "                           ."

VALID, no problems.

+0.5 for silent speech
+0.5 for silent names
----
+1.0 total

----- 204:2 by Mark -----

> Mark: "I'm demonstrating the new rule."
>    : "                                   ?"
>     : "                !"
>    : "                           ."
> [           ]

VALID, no problems.

+0.5 for building on previous rule
-0.5 for extending the length of an existing silence
+0.5 for extending previous rule in a subtly different way
----
+0.5 total

----- 204:3 by Steve -----

> Mark: "I'm demonstrating the new rule."
> Stv: "You mean, always fill in the blanks?"
>     : "                !"
>    : "                           ."
> [           ]

VALID, no problems.

+0.5 for building on previous rule
+0.5 for maintaining lengths of existing silences in a creative way
-0.5 for not extending previous rule
----
+0.5 total

----- 204:4 by Joshua -----

> Mark: "I'm demonstrating the new rule."
> Stv: "You mean, always fill in the blanks?"
> Joshu: "Of course always!"
>     : "                           ."
>  [           ]

VALID, no problems.

+0.5 for building
-0.5 for changing length
-0.5 for not extending
----
-0.5 total

----- 204:5 by Steve -----

> Mark: "I'm demonstrating the new rule."
> Stv: "You mean, always fill in the blanks?"
> Joshu: "Of course always!"
> Stev: "But we'll run out of blanks."
>  [           ]

VALID, no problems.

+0.5 for building
+0.5 for preserving lengths
-0.5 for not extending
----
+0.5 total

----- 204:6 by Joshua -----

>      : "                  the new     ."
> Stv: "You mean, always fill in the blanks?"
> Joshu: "Of course always!"
> Stev: "But we'll run out of blanks."
> [unfill some]

VALID, no problems.

+0.5 for building
+0.5 for preserving lengths
+0.5 for a solution to the space problem that is more creative
       than just tacking on more spaces (which 204:2 already did)
+0.5 for blanking only part of the first line
----
+2.0 total

----- 204:7 by Steve -----

> Steve: "Ah replace 'em by the new ones."
>    : "        ,                the       ?"
> Joshu: "Of course always!"
> Stev: "But we'll run out of blanks."
> [unfill some]

VALID, no problems.

+0.5 for building
+0.5 for preserving lengths
+0.5 for leaving a mid-line punctuation mark unblanked
-0.5 for not extending
----
+1.0 total

----- 204:8 by Richard -----

> Steve: "Ah replace 'em by the new ones."
> Rch: "Mandates, bracketed, can be altered?"
> Joshu: "O      s     a  !"
> Stev: "But we'll run out of blanks."
> [unfill some]
> [next restriction goes here]

INVALID.  The text "the" in the second line is changed without
having been unfilled first.

+0.5 for building
-1.0 for changing without unfilling first
+0.5 for leaving "Joshu" filled
+0.5 for extending
----
+0.5 total

----- 204:9 by Joshua -----

> !

> <whisper> if you canna be silent. Be quiet.</whisper>

INVALID.  Does not follow 204:4's restriction to fill in the blanks.

-0.5 for not building
+0.5 for general adherence to theme
----
+0.0 total

----- 204:10 by Joshua (already ineligible) -----

> Steve: "Ah replace 'em by the new ones."
> Who: "Although, be yet mindful prior rule?"
>      : "                !"
> Stev: "Soon we'll lack rule spaces."
> [unfill some]
> [reword some]
>
> Rival dialog begins:
> Lopez:"                                "
> Carlos:"Heh, heh. Small chance of that."

The following judgment and style would have been valid
if Joshua had been eligible:

VALID.  I'm okay with a rule using a new form of change, so long as it
explicitly requires or allows that form of change.

+0.5 for building
+0.5 for "reword some"
+0.5 for "rival dialog"
----
+1.5 total

--
Ed Murphy <emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com>          "I'm not sure I can go through
http://members.fortunecity.com/emurphy/      with it.  Leave, I mean."