Re: 210:3 VALID +1.5

From: Joshua (j3b4_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 18:20:54 PDT

 --- Chris Huston <cmhuston_at_mts.net> wrote: > Excerpts from the June 18
broadcast of FRCnn:

> The kingdom of Shankfindartenbeeganthrop lies on the coast of a
> rather
> large freshwater inland sea, so the famed Powdered Earthquake and the
> often imitated Earthquake Pill, poses no threat the the fine citizens
> of
> that country. (1) However, they are highly concerned about the odor
> of
> the feet of thier esteemed Minister of Recreational Activities, the
> Left
> Honourable Tikason'heinlen Atrebor-Ynohta. There are dissidents that
> believe that Dr. Heller uses that odor as a vital ingredient in his
> missiles and the Left Honourable Atrebor-Ynohta should really wash
> his
> feet more often.
>
> With reagrds to the kingdom of Tregleshontlegong, and the unfortunate
> incident that occured there recently, we have determined that there
> may
> have been a slight error in the translation of the videotape obtained
> from Bob-hasbeen TV. Althought it is true that tiddlywinks were
> involved, the actual events may have involved a clandestine
> meeting.(2)
>
> After the break, we will speak with the Dept. of Invading Small
> Countries, and we will show our viewers the latest threat to the
> region,
> the Attacking White Bunnies. Later, we will discuss methods used to
> hide
> Weapons of Mass Destruction.
>
> You have been listening to FRCnn, your most reliable source of FRC
> News.
>  Stay tuned to FRCnn for further developments in this story.
>

> (1)  It is a little known fact that salt water is a necessary
> ingredient
> to the activation of Powdered Earthquake
>
> (2)Tiddlywinks is derived from the adjective __tiddly__ for the state
> of
> being drunk, and __to tip the wink__, to give somebody a private
> signal  http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-tid1.htm

VALID:
It is still terrifyingly easy to write a valid rule in this round.
This odd-numbered rule obeys the restrictions in 210:2 by introducing
some new silly-sounding names.

STYLE: +1.5
A point for disarming earthquake powder (which quite literally had me
shaking - ouch, bad judge. No style points!) and for introducing us to
FRCnn - exactly on theme!).  At least half a point for  tiddlywinks
back but I'm dissapointed (and so are you) since this alternative
interpretation of the word threatens to scuttle my hopes of future
words delving deeper into the mysterious vocabulary of the world of
crudding and squopping.
"Atrebor-Ynohta" defintely deserves a point.  This brings us to two
point five points but what this round really needs is a restriction!
Even something small and weak will do, or better yet, a massively
destructive restriction.  Lately I've begun to fear that FRC is
becoming a co-operative hobby and may lose touch with it's blood-sport
origins.  I for one am not eager to see that happen! Minus one point
for pacifism in the face of terror. Ya bleedin' heart commie!