Re: 200:11 INVALID +0.25

From: Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) (jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 09:27:09 PST

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, James Willson wrote:

> 200:11
> >>>>>

> Following Gandalf's advice, this rule will be sure
> not to commence until there is only one firework in
> the sky, just as the previous did.
>
>                  \
>                   \
>                  --*
>                   /
>                  /
>
> Two seconds ago the Fire Dept banned rotationally
> symmetric fireworks, so avoid banned goods!

Validity: Ok, here goes. First off, the previous Rule commenced while
there were three fireworks in the sky (including one it launched), so the
claim that the previous Rule waited to commence until there was only one
firework in the sky is inconsistent with the previous Rule. I'll assume
that this Rule commences immediately after the last Rule. The fireworks
from 200:8, 200:9, and 200:10 are still in the sky, in addition to the
firework (maybe?) fired off in this Rule.  It is still possible for a
subsequent Rule to be fashioned. It does not attempt to commence earlier
than one second after the previous Rule. The Rule is exactly 200
characters (excluding whitespace) long. The firework that is (maybe?) set
off during the Rule doesn't have a defined color. I guess that's a unique
color, but no one will be able to see it from the ground, so the firework
has no effect. The Rule does not contain any FRC Balloons. The Rule does
not set off more than one firework. There are no other fireworks in the
sky from this committee member. This Rule does not lack the launch of a
firework. This Rule does not try to begin prior to the end of a previous
valid Rule. There are three fireworks in the sky during this Rule. The
Rule does not fit within the McQuary limit, as it is 12 lines long. Rule
is INVALID.

Style: +0.25 for a restriction I kind of like. -0.25 for being confusing
with when the Rule commences, and when the restriction takes place. +0.25
for following its own restriction. Total style: +0.25

--
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)