Re: Rule 200:9 VALID +0.50

From: Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) (jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 12:37:44 PST

On 14 Jan 2003, Richard S. Holmes wrote:

> I set off this bargain basement firework I bought last July.  It lasts
> 4 seconds and explodes in a brilliant display of .... beige???  Sigh.
> You get what you pay for.
>
> Still, what a party, eh?  Seems like everybody who's anybody from the
> world of books, comics, and films is here:
>
> There's a big contingent from The Lord of the Rings:
>
>     Frodo
>     Sam
>     Aragorn
>     Gimli
>     Legolas
>     Boromir
>     Gandalf (should've bought my firework from him, eh?)
>     Sauron
>     Wormtongue
>     Saruman
>     Eowyn
>     Galadriel
>     Tom Bombadil
>     Elrond
>     Treebeard
>
> While just a random few from the Foundation Trilogy:
>
>     Hari Seldon
>     Arkady Darrell
>     The Mule
>     Preem Palver
>
> From various Disney films come:
>
>     Snow White
>     The Seven Dwarves
>     Beauty
>     The Beast
>     Lady
>     The Tramp
>
> and from a certain novel by Herman Melville:
>
>     Ishmael
>     Ahab
>     Moby Dick (watching balefully from offshore)
>
> From the works of Mark Twain:
>
>     Tom Sawyer
>     Becky Thatcher
>     Aunt Polly
>     Huckleberry Finn
>     Jim
>     The Duke
>     The Dauphin
>
> and from the works of Arthur Conan Doyle:
>
>     Sherlock Holmes
>     Dr Watson
>     Mycroft Holmes
>     Moriarty
>
> A raucus delegation from Looney Tunes:
>
>     Bugs Bunny
>     Daffy Duck
>     Sylvester
>     Tweety
>     Yosemite Sam
>     Coyote
>     Road Runner
>     Pepe LePew
>     Marvin the Martian
>
> and several from Dr Seuss:
>
>     The Cat In the Hat
>     Thing One
>     Thing Two
>     The Grinch
>
> From a certain show on Nickelodeon:
>
>     Spongebob Squarepants
>     Patrick
>     Squidward
>     Mr Krabs
>
> From The Wizard of Oz:
>
>     Dorothy
>     Cowardly Lion
>     Tin Man
>     Scarecrow
> [...]

Validity: Things get even more tricky now. The firework from 200:8 is
still in the sky, in addition to the firework fired off in this Rule. It
is still possible for a subsequent Rule to be fashioned, although not
every committee member will be capable of doing so. It does not attempt to
commence earlier than one second after the previous Rule. The Rule
contains exactly 200 characters, none of which are named "space", or any
of the other whitespace names such as "tab", "carriage return", or "new
line". One character is named "Snow White", but I don't think that counts
as a form of whitespace. The firework that is set off during the Rule is a
unique color. The rule does not contain any FRC Balloons. The Rule does
not set off more than one firework. There are no other fireworks in the
sky from this committee member. This Rule does not lack the launch of a
firework. This Rule does not try to begin prior to the end of a previous
valid Rule. The Rule is VALID.

Style: +0.50 for finding and exploiting yet another loophole around
200:2's character limit. -0.50 for being quite long. +0.50 for a
restriction that I like. +0.50 for adding a new dimension to the theme by
really getting the celebration started bringing 200 story characters to
the party.  -0.25 for not following its own restriction. -0.25 for not
bringing Sir Toby (from Shakespeare's Twelth Night) to the party. Total
style: +0.50

--
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)