Re: 200:8 VALID +1.00

From: Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) (jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 09:30:30 PST

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Selengut, Jeremy wrote:

> Here beginneth the rule:
>

> Just after the glow of my roman candle fades to black, I launch a "willow
> tree".  It will take 2 seconds for the rocket to get to its maximum height
> at which time it will explode, releasing precisely 200 spring green
> characters or symbols, no more no less, including punctuation, but not
> including spaces or other whitespace, which will gracefully float downward.
> It will be another 5 seconds before they all fade.
>
> No one may launch a firework while one that they previously launched is
> still visible in the sky.  (By the way, the duration of a firework always
> ends when it ceases to be visible from the ground.)
>
> So as to avoid overly short duration fireworks, henceforth, no valid rule
> lacking the launch of a firework can be submitted from an author who does
> not have a firework visible from the ground at that time.
>
> No rule may purport to begin prior to the end of a previous valid rule (one
> at a time, please, in chronological order).
>

> Here endeth the rule!
>
> -Jeremy Selengut

Validity: Things are getting tricky now. This Rule is the first to specify
when it occurs. The fireworks from 200:1 and 200:7 are no longer in the
sky. However, the firework put into the air during this rule satisfies
200:1's first requirement. It is still possible for a subsequent Rule to
be fashioned. It does not attempt to commence earlier than one second
after the previous Rule. The Rule is NOT 200 characters (excluding
whitespace) long, it is 769 characters (excluding whitespace) long.
Neither does the rule contain the exact magic phrase from 200:2, nor does
it contain a FRC Cellabratory Balloon. The firework launched in the Rule,
however, does contain exactly 200 characters (excluding whitespace), and
that's good enough for me for meeting 200:2's restriction. The firework
that is set off during the Rule is a unique color. The rule does not
contain any FRC Balloons. The Rule does not set off more than one
firework. The Rule is VALID.

Style: +0.50 for finding and exploiting yet another loophole around
200:2's character limit. +0.25 for advancing the theme. +0.25 for
following it's own restrictions. +0.50 for restrictions that I like.
-0.50 for specifying a restriction that is already in force (200:8's third
restriction is already handled by 200:1's third restriction). Total style:
+1.00

--
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)