Re: 200:4 UNSUCCESSFUL +1.25

From: Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) (jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 19:06:33 PST

Renumbered from 200:3 to 200:4.

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Karl Low wrote:

> It seems Leonhard forgot to mention that the phrase "precisely 200
> characters or symbols, no more, no less, including punctuation, but not
> including spaces or other whitespace." is actually the long name of the
> official FRC celebratory balloons. Perhaps if e had, it would have been
> more understandable why e wanted everybody to have one in eir rule.

Validity: This gets a little tricky now... The firework from 200:1 is
still in the sky. It is still possible for subsequent Rules to be
fashioned. It does not attempt to commence earlier than one second after
the previous Rule. The Rule is NOT 200 characters (excluding whitespace)
long, it is 293 characters (excluding whitespace) long, and so potentially
runs afoul of 200:2. The Rule does not fire off any additional fireworks,
so it is safe from 200:3's restriction.

The tricky part is that it attempts to further clarify the restriction of
200:2. Since I am not terribly fond of the restriction in 200:2, I am
certainly open to alternative interpretations of it. This would be a great
idea if it occurred immediately after 200:2. However, Rule 200:3 has been
posted in the meantime, and it has been declared Valid according to my
original interpretation of the restriction in 200:2. The new
interpretation would be inconsistent with Rule 200:3, as Rule 200:3 does
not contain the phrase "precisely 200 characters or symbols, no more, no
less, including punctuation, but not including spaces or other
whitespace." Unfortunately, 200:4 doesn't appear to leave room for using
either determination as needed for affected Rules.

Since the author sent the Rule as 200:3, I assume that e was unaware that
200:3 had already been posted. Therefore, I declare this rule
UNSUCCESSFUL.

Style: +0.25 for advancing the theme. +0.25 for being short. -0.25 for not
having a restriction of its own. +1.00 for taming the restriction in
200:2. Total style: +1.25

--
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)