Re: Fw: 203:8 VALID +1.5

From: Jesse Welton (jwelton_at_pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 07:48:05 PST

Alan Riddell wrote:

> > There is then a picture of a frog behind a red circle with two bars across
> > it in red.

To be more precise, there is a picture of a frog behind a red circle
with a bar across it, behind a red circle with a bar across it.
Perhaps this affects your interpretation.

> > What does this rule mean?

I could of course tell you what I intended it to mean, but that
wouldn't mean much.  :)

<snip>
> > So the yellow square symbol describes the circumstances in which there can
> > be no frogs. I was going to say it probably means future, as that is what
> > most rules typically would try to do.  However there are many more obvious
> > symbols for the future, a clock, an hourglass, etc. As such I do not think
> > it means in future.

I don't think clocks and hourglasses are at all obvious symbols for
the future.  That is, they may be obvious things to try, but their
meaning as symbols is not obviously "the future".  They are more
strongly tied to time in general, and the passage of time.  The
passage of time is getting close, but it doesn't really indicate the
necessary reference point (now) or whether the remainder of the image
is associated with the past or the future.

> > It does suggest a narrowing, or lessening though.

It is a traffic symbol for "road narrows", so there is at least one
thing we agree upon.

> > So I will take it to mean rules will contain less frogs.

That is certainly an unexpected interpretation.  So much for
communication through pictures alone.  :)

-Jesse