Re: Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam... (fwd)

From: Heuristics Inc. (wmm_at_galahad.jhuapl.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 10:12:58 PDT

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Richard S. Holmes wrote:

>So I merely will say: I believe the best option of those discussed so
>far is to keep FRC on the present list server, with an altered posting
>address which should not appear publicly and with non-subscribers
>prohibited from posting, and I encourage the Judge to put this scheme
>into effect.

I agree with Richard; the spam is becoming all too frequent, and has gone
far past the joke stage of "let's consider this a rule."  I believe this
was Arnt's suggestion as well, to move it to a new list _name_ with a
request address being the only one specified.

The non-subscriber not posting thing _could_ be screwed up by people's
username/machine names not quite matching, such that the subscribed
address and the one in the "From" line were different.  It's probably best
to not implement that part as of yet, I would think, unless we start
getting another big influx of junk.

In related news, I'd like to change my subscribed address but have lost
the instructions for how to do that, I've been subscribed for so long :)
Been a while since I spoke up but I'm still here!
-bill

William Maciejewski                       wmm_at_galahad.jhuapl.edu
      A3A - Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab
http://www.heuristicsinc.com : Heuristics Inc.: electronic music