206:2 INVALID +1.0

From: Ed Murphy (emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 10:21:04 PST

Alan Riddell <peekee_at_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Lets examine the claims that Rule 206:1 makes.
>
> 1) April Fool's Day is traditionally a time for jokes.
> 2) April Fool's Day is traditionally a time for pranks
> 3) On April Fool's newspapers print fake headlines, etc.
> 4) For this Round, each Rule must make exactly one claim that is false.
> 5) Rule 206:1 makes a claim that is false.
>
> There is a question that 1) and 2) might both be in the same claim,
> similarly 4) and 5) might be in the same claim. It should be noted that if
> 4) is true then 5) is true (assuming the validity of the rule).
>
> Now "traditionally" is a strange word as traditions can be current or very
> long running. While there can be no doubt that in current Western society
> April Fool's is a time for Jokes, if we examine the history of the day we
> find things are not so simple.
>
> http://www.infoplease.com/spot/aprilfools1.html
>
> But even in the past those who referred to 1st April as "April Fool's Day"
> made jokes and played pranks. It does not matter if 1) and 2) are different
> claims or not.
>
> It is not hard to find evidence that some newspapers have printed false
> headlines on April Fool's Day, so 3) is true.
>
> Now if 4) and 5) are one claim they must be false but this becomes circular
> and generally unpleasant and IMO would cause the Rule to be invalid. So 4)
> and 5) must be separate claims, if 4) is true and 5) is false there is a
> contradiction, therefore it must be the case that 5) is true and 4) is
> false.
>
> As such I reimpose the missing rescriction that 206:1 would impose.
>
> For this Round, each Rule must make exactly one claim that is false.

The last sentence is false (otherwise the similar claim in 206:1 would
become true, and 206:1 would then fail to meet the restriction).  Thus
the next-to-last sentence is also false.

Anything explicitly labelled as a claim may be false.  In the Judge's
esteemed (*) opinion, the last sentence of 206:1 bears a sufficiently
explicit label, but the next-to-last sentence of 206:2 does not.  INVALID.

+2.0 challenging to judge
-0.5 repetition
-0.5 length
----
+1.0 total

I also add "+2.0 challenging to judge" to 206:1, bringing its total style
up to the full +3.0 amount.

(*) This claim may be false.

--
Ed Murphy <emurphy42_at_socal.rr.com>          "I'm not sure I can go through
http://members.fortunecity.com/emurphy/      with it.  Leave, I mean."