197:6

From: Steve Gardner (gardner_at_sng.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 18:41:58 PST

Elegantly attired in fins and tails, I, long-swimming member of the
Tasteful Merman Society, have navigated my leisurely way to the FRC
Christmas Club to join the festivities, perhaps for the last time. Yes,
for the last time, I say, for I am getting old, although perhaps I am
not ready to 'face immortal sunset yet', as the poet once put it.

As Treasurer of the Christmas Club it had fallen to me to spend as I saw
fit the FB100 gift voucher given us by one of our many benefactors, and
tucked snugly beneath a ventral fin was a letter, proof of my purchase.
It has long been a dream of mine that FRC should acquire a luxury
European car for use by Committee Members, and now that dream was a step
closer to reality: for the sum of FB89.95, the letter (in a water-proof
envelope, naturally) said, a friend of mine would swim by next week to
ensure that the somewhat cramped FRC garage could offer sufficient room
for car I had my on. A costly Fiat measurement, some might say, but
worth every cent, in my view.

Earlier that afternoon, I had spent some hours splashing and cavorting
among some of the more obscure antique dealers that a merman of my taste
and sophistication has the pleasure frequently to acquaint, and with the
remaining FB10 had managed to acquire from an old friend an exquisite
Chinese puzzle box, carved from mahogany and inlaid with ivory on four
sides, while on the lid was depicted in a bas-relief carving a tiny
figure, superbly crafted, representing the legendary Ørjan, shown in the
acting of bringing the FRC into existence - an immortal Usenet fact,
yes! I knew this piece would find a welcome home among the other
tasteful artefacts in the Committee's collection.

Arriving at the Committee's secluded rooms in an exclusive up-town
locale near the Canal, I placed the box prominently in the display
cabinet, inviting my fellow Committee members to appreciate its
craft, daring them to penetrate its secrets, and remarked, as if
casually, "Is there a more extravagant anagrammatizer here than I? I
seriously doubt it - I outdo even McEue! If not, let future Rules prove
it. Now, do I satisfy Rule? Commentate!"

--

Steve Gardner                     |  Each writer creates their own
School of Computer Science        |  precursors.