Re: 196:13

From: Steve Gardner (gardner_at_sng.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 17:17:41 PST

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Steve Gardner wrote:
>
> > Tieka, I'm confused again, about 2 different things. In declaring
> > 196:11 to be valid you said that that the requirement to mention the
> > deeds of a past player in 196:9 did not apply because the rule was
> > declared by valid by default (which was not the case; it was
> > declared valid by Proposal).
>
> I think you have Tieka's correct words, but not the correct meaning.
> When Tieka declared 196:11 to be valid, the requirement to mention the
> deeds of a past player did not apply because rule 196:11 became valid
> by default, not because 196:9 was declared valid by default (which it
> didn't, as you mentioned). There was a miscommunication about *which*
> rule was declared valid by default.

Aaah, I see: 196:11 could have said *anything* - none of the restrictions
in previous Fantasy Rules applied to it in determining its validity
precisely because it was valid by default, and not on the basis of
anything it actually said. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Sir Toby.

> I believe that requirements specified in rules that are declared valid by
> default are still in place for future rules.

This raises an interesting question: what if a Rule which is in outright
contradiction to a previous Rule is declared valid by default? Eg, in
the current round, one of the restrictions in place is that Rules cannot
use or mention the word 'Fantasy'. What if a new Rule saying that future
Rules *must* use or mention the word 'Fantasy' were declared valid by
default (the only way such a Rule could be declared valid, since it
violates the earlier requirement)? How could the validity of future
Rules then be determined (other than by default)? Any future Rule would
perforce violate one of the restrictions.

Steve

--

Steve Gardner                     |  Each writer creates their own
School of Computer Science        |  precursors.