Re: 196:13

From: Steve Gardner (gardner_at_sng.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 15:48:11 PST

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Tieka wrote:

> on 11/20/02 7:38 PM, Jonathan David Amery at jdamery_at_ysolde.ucam.org wrote:
>
> > "Do not heat this FRC above 10Kelvin, as is flamable" - F'rcyeh Tablets
> > Is said Slakko was a member, he would enjoy round 179 where confusion
> > reigned and which tells us new rules must contain letter 'x'.
>
> We have all been assuming that above room temperature was a good thing for
> FRC, but Jonathan reminds us that really cold is just as much 'not room
> temperature.' It's really amazing how much information is in the F'rceh
> tablets. Perhaps another round. Anway, this rule is shorter in one respect
> than previous valid rules, and it reminds us of previous rounds and names a
> departed player as well. I don't really see any defense of the FRC here, nor
> do I see a smiley. As the collection of proposals pointed out, 'X shall Y'
> is a restriction, so the requirenment of 196:10 must be dealt with.
> Unfortunetly, no smiley means this rule is INVALID.

Tieka, I'm confused again, about 2 different things. In declaring 196:11
to be valid you said that that the requirement to mention the deeds of a
past player in 196:9 did not apply because the rule was declared by
valid by default (which was not the case; it was declared valid by
Proposal).

So the first thing is, is the requirement in 196:9 in force, or isn't
it? If it is in force, then 196:11 should be invalid.

But secondly, 196:10 actually was declared valid by default. So, by the
reasoning you used on 196:11, it's restrictions do not apply, and 196:13
should be valid.

The only thing I can think of is that there's some subtle timing issues
I haven't yet grasped about when the restrictions in Fantasy Rules come
into effect when their validity is uncertain or in dispute. Is that it?

--

Steve Gardner                     |  Each writer creates their own
School of Computer Science        |  precursors.