Re: Proposal 196:G

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 07:12:08 PST

"Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)" <jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com> writes:

> Upon the adoption of this proposal, the decision of the judge for 196:8
> will be changed to Valid.
>
> My arguments:
>
> I really hate to throw yet another proposal out there, but I feel I need
> to establish this precedent with regards to the requirement of 196:3.
> 196:3 states: "make all eulogies shorter than those before them". Since it
> doesn't state the all eulogies must be shorter than the one eulogy
> immediately before it, we must assume that the eulogy must be shorter than
> the combination of ALL eulogies that came before it.
>
> Below, I've provided a character count of all of the rules up to and
> including 196:8. Carriage returns have been treated as a character for
> this count.
>
> 196:1  - 462
> 196:2  - 1016
> 196:3  - 438
> 196:4  - 342
> 196:5  - 219
> 196:6  - 165
> 196:7  - 164
> 196:8  - 1214
>
> There's some confusion about the validity of several rules, but the
> validity of rules 196:1 and 196:2 has never been questioned. With the
> character count of just those two rules alone, we have the length of rule
> 196:8 more than covered.
>
> The length of rule 196:8 was the only problem the judge found with it. I
> don't feel that the length is a problem, given my arguments above.
>
> My evidence:
>
> Judge's ruling for 196:8

> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:16:55 -0500
> From: Tieka <cmhuston_at_mts.net>
> To: "Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)" <jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com>,
> frc_at_trolltech.com
> Subject: Re: 196:8 INVALID +3.0
>
> on 11/13/02 1:12 AM, Jeff Weston (Sir Toby) at jjweston_at_kenny.sir-toby.com
> wrote:
>
> > Ah FRC... It seems I hardly knew thee. My first memories of FRC start
> > with round 187 in July of this year. While I found the puzzle theme
> > fascinating, I also found it too tricky to try to participate in it.
> > However, my fondest memories of FRC come from round 190. You see, that
> > was the round where I posted my first ever rule. Then there was round
> > 191 where I was a co-wizard with Ed Murphy. Very fond memories...
> > *sniff* I'll miss you FRC!
> >
> > Of course, I sincerely hope that this eulogy is not needed. 196:2 has
> > provided us with the excellent suggestion of deciphering the F'rcyeh
> > Tablets. I understand that even now, scientists have decoded a portion
> > of the F'rcyeh Tablets! The first secret they have discovered may reveal
> > the perfect method to keep FRC from assuming room temperature. The name
> > they have given the snippet is "Fantastic Rule Cooking". Here is the
> > snippet of the F'rcyeh Tablets that they have deciphered:
> >
> > -----
> >
> > ...the oven set at 200 degrees. If the temperature of FRC gets anywhere
> [...]

I vote AGAINST this proposal.

While it is customary to judge a rule VALID if there is any reasonable
interpretation by which it is VALID, there is no requirement to do so:
the Judge is perfectly within eir rights to choose a restrictive
interpretation and judge accordingly.

In any case I believe it's better procedure to address an objection to
the judge and give em eir three days to change eir decision before
Proposing an overturn.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY