196 Summary Part 2

From: Tieka (cmhuston_at_mts.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 10:36:51 PST

Below is a summary of the round so far, including eligibility times, old
judgements and new judgements. Upon consideration of arguments from numerous
sources, I have re-evaluated all previous rules and have taken that into
consideration in the judgements of all current rules. No changes were made
in either style or validity of rules 196:1-6. Remember, the members of FRC
can change the validity of any rule by a success proposal.

As it stands now, A. Riddell would be the new Judge and J. Weston would be
Wizard.

Rules Submitted
----------------------

196:1     2002-11-08 07:49:24 GMT     VALID +2.5     E. Murphy
196:2     2002-11-08 15:34:39 GMT     VALID +1.5     C. Leonhard
196:3     2002-11-08 16:02:41 GMT     VALID +0       J. Amery
196:4     2002-11-10 13:13:07 GMT     VALID +1.5     A. Riddell
196:5     2002-11-10 22:25:18 GMT   INVALID +2.0     E. Murphy
196:6     2002-11-11 00:33:32 GMT   INVALID +2.0     J. Amery
196:7     2002-11-12 07:31:34 GMT   INVALID +3.0     J. Weston
196:8     2002-11-13 06:19:52 GMT   INVALID +3.0     J. Weston
196:9     2002-11-14 01:05:59 GMT   INVALID +3.0     S. Gardner

Name           Style     Eligible until
*J. Weston      +6.0      2002-11-13 07:49:24 GMT
*E. Murphy      +4.5      2002-11-14 07:49:24 GMT
*S. Gardner     +3.0      2002-11-14 07:49:24 GMT
*J. Amery       +2.0      2002-11-14 16:02:41 GMT

New Players              2002-11-15 07:49:24 GMT
C. Leonhard    +1.5      2002-11-15 15:34:39 GMT
J. Amery       +0.0      2002-11-15 16:02:41 GMT
A. Riddell     +1.5      2002-11-17 13:13:07 GMT

--------------------------
196:1   Rule Date: 2002-11-08 07:49:24 GMT   VALID +2.5    Ed Murphy
There were rounds when, three or four rules in, I didn't have a clue what
was going on any more.  Those were the good times.  Then there was the
Bribery round when, seven or eight rules in, hardly anybody had a clue
what was going on any more.  That was sort of a bad time, except for the
Judge and eir crony.

Each future eulogy (er, rule) shall suggest a new way to save FRC from
assuming room temperature.  (Turn it into a Points Contest in Agora Nomic?)

*******
Well done, a quick response so perhaps FRC is still twitching. Starting with
a nice little tear-jerk paragraph followed by... ummm. Since Ed started off
by reminding us that the best rounds are when someone doesn't know what is
going on, this round is off to a great start. The judge doesn't know what is
happening, as I don't play Agora. Besides that, the restrictions on future
rules actually leaves a lot of room. It will be interesting to see how it
develops.

First rule submitted, short and easy to read, simple but intriguing
restriction and my benolovence give it a +3. But the Judge doesn't like to
be reminded that I don't know everything, so -0.5 for the Agora reference.
Total is + 2.5

Btw, I wonder if anyone will catch my little play on words in the round
announcement?

--------------------------
196:2   Rule Date: 2002-11-08 15:34:39 GMT   VALID +1.5   C. Leonhard
Three score and thrice three rounds ago, Nostradamus predicted the end times
of the FRC. Just because he was correct in forseeing that each eulogist in
this round would remind us of a round from happier times, though, must we
docilely don our shrouds and lay ourselves, still living, in the ground? I
have roused myself from my torpor to say you nay, and remain convinced that
if we can but decipher the F'rcyeh Tablets, we can save ourselves with the
secrets contained therein.

Christian R. Leonhard

addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.

If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized
representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail
and delete the message and any attachments from your system.
*******

I like the use of language. It is colorful, and enhances the feeling this
rounds theme. I am also very impressed with the final two paragraphs. It
seems to remind us that the FRC is a secret committee and our actions must
be help in the strictest confidence. This fits in nicely with the
decryptiuon of the sacred F'rcyeh tablets. It's too bad that neither the
location nor any of the inscriptions on the Tablets themselves are
mentioned. Moreever, Christian may be convinced that the F'rcyeh tablets are
the the solution, but his words are not as forceful as I would prefer. The
Tablets remain a possibility, but not a requirenment.

+1 language, +1 final paragraphs, -0.5 weak restriction

--------------------------
196:3  Rule Date: 2002-11-08 16:02:41 GMT  (Johnathn Amery)  VALID +0

Being a numerologist this round has a very pleasing number, being the
square of 14.  14 is, itself, the product of the numbers of the first
two remaining archived rounds (at ftp.nvg.ntnu.no).  So, I recommend
that we should eschew he sillyness of limerics, as 2 is a strange
prime, but instead follow round 7's lead and make all eulogies shorter
than those before them, and hope to extend the FRC by minimising the
space it takes up.
*******

First Nostradum and now numerology. What's next, astrology? Actually this
does seem to fit in with the hard-to-understand sub-theme. Fortunetly
Jonathan spells it out for us. Unfortunetly, he uses nice little words like
'eschew' then mispells even simplier words like 'the'.  The suggestion for
saving FRC could be interesting. I can see at least two ways to interpet
this restriction. It will be interesting to see how this works out. This is
another weak restriction, but does not violate any prior rule(suggestion).
Actually, 196:1 required suggestions, so this suggestion has no less value
that prior suggestions.

+1 for remberance, -1 for silly spelling mistakes (no penalties for
mispelling harder words)

--------------------------
196:4  Rule Date: 2002-11-10 13:13:07 GMT  Alan "Peekee" Riddell  VALID +1.5

Ah, remember the good old days when we could look back on the dirt and filth
of previous rounds without the rose tinited sepcticals of nostalga. From now
on Rules shall make reference to a previous round, such as the unforgettable
round with the board, which sadly I cant remeber the number of... What is it
again?
*******

Let's see here, we have nostaglia which is good for eulogies, but we seem to
be lacking any way to improve FRC before it's untimley death. Nor does it
follow the suggestion of deciphering the F'rcyeh Tablets. It is shorter than
previous suggestions, so it has followed one of the suggestions. It does
contain a much stronger restriction on future rules, so I won't be forced to
interpet another suggestion. Since Alan has already publicly admitted his
spelling problem I don't feel it necessary to further penalize him. I am
very pleased with the reference to things nobody understands. Over all I
give this rule +1.5

--------------------------
196:5  Rule Date: 2002-11-10 22:25:18 GMT  Ed Murphy   INVALID  +2.0.

Remember the Hypocrisy round?  "Yes, Sincerity shall be our theme..."

Each future eulogy shall say something nice about a previous eulogy.

196:4 would have been better if it hadn't duplicated 196:2's requirement.
*******

We seem to be losing the eulogy theme but with each rule getting shorter, I
suppose it is necessary for the theme to get smaller as well. In fact, I
can't seem to find any hint of eulogy except for the word 'remember.'
Because of this I must find this rule invalid but since it does follow
_most_ of the suggestions I will give it +2.0.

--------------------------
196:6  Rule Date: 2002-11-11 00:33:32 GMT  J. Amery  INVALID  +2.0.

196:5 has interest, but it didn't
help our future.  Thinking of 186
and 190, we should seek more
advantageous names for FRC
than "Fantasy Recreation Consulting"
*******

This attempt falls short for the same reason 196:5 does. It does follow some
of the suggestions, and follows the valid rules with stronger restrictions
posted so far. I give it  +2.0 noting that this rule follows one of four
possible ways of interpeting 196:3.

--------------------------
196:7  Rule Date: 2002-11-12 07:31:34 GMT  J. Weston  INVALID +3.0

Thanks 196:6 for reminding me of the time
I joined FRC, round 190. Name FRC "Fancy
Random Creation" to save it. Rules cannot
use "fantasy" in the name for FRC.
*******

Fails to "decipher the F'rcyeh Tablets" so it is Invalid. It does follow the
restriction in 196:3 in two aspects, and follows all other restrictions.
+3.0 Style Points

--------------------------
196:8  Rule Date: 2002-11-13 06:19:52 GMT  J. Weston  INVALID +3.0

Ah FRC... It seems I hardly knew thee. My first memories of FRC start with
round 187 in July of this year. While I found the puzzle theme
fascinating, I also found it too tricky to try to participate in it.
However, my fondest memories of FRC come from round 190. You see, that was
the round where I posted my first ever rule. Then there was round 191
where I was a co-wizard with Ed Murphy. Very fond memories... *sniff* I'll
miss you FRC!

Of course, I sincerely hope that this eulogy is not needed. 196:2 has
provided us with the excellent suggestion of deciphering the F'rcyeh
Tablets. I understand that even now, scientists have decoded a portion of
the F'rcyeh Tablets! The first secret they have discovered may reveal the
perfect method to keep FRC from assuming room temperature. The name they
have given the snippet is "Fantastic Rule Cooking". Here is the snippet of
the F'rcyeh Tablets that they have deciphered:

-----

...the oven set at 200 degrees. If the temperature of FRC gets anywhere
near to room temperature, place it in the oven to correct the problem.
Repeat as often...

-----

All further rules must announce a further deciphering of the F'rcyeh
Tablets, and name the new deciphering.
*******

Ah, the agony for the Judge. A beutiful eulogy, and it follows the
suggestion (restrictions) of 196:1-7, but alas, it is longer than 196:4. I
wish that I could do more for this wonderful rule, but style of +3.0 is all
that I can do for this INVALID rule.

--------------------------
196:9  Rule Date: 2002-11-14 01:05:59 GMT  S. Gardner  INVALID +3.0

FRC! How I frolicked among the limericks of Round 2 with Joev, who
circumvented the traps I set for him! As the ancient Fr'cyeh Tablets
provide, let each of us step forward and recall the deeds of a former
FRC player, now departed. Perhaps thus we may find courage to save FRC.
*******

Follows theme nicely, and most other rules, but I cannot determine how we
are supposed to save FRC (re 196:1). This rule is even shorter in at least
one respect than all other valid rules, and some of the invalid ones as
well. It is nice to see a new/old face. so, I will give the traditional high
style for newcomers. INVALID +3.0