Re: A Judges Commentary for 196

From: Richard S. Holmes (rsholmes_at_MailBox.Syr.Edu)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 06:47:32 PST

Tieka <cmhuston_at_mts.net> writes:

> With regards to my ruling on 196:5 and 196:6, I realize that it may be
> confusing to people. It is my interpetation that a theme _can_ be enforced,
> but does not have to be. In fact, I don't think it has ever been done
> before. I belief that by specifying a theme, it becomes part of the
> ordinaces, and that since 196:5 & 6 fail to follow the theme, they are in
> violation of the ordiances.

The Ordinances specify how the Ordinances may be modified, and I see
nothing in the Ordinances to suggest that the theme becomes part of
the Ordinances (unless a proposal to that effect is passed).

Indeed, the only mention of "theme" in the ROs is:

   The (new) Judge shall determine the exact time of the start of the
   round, and e may also suggest a theme for the round and nominate a
   member to post the first fantasy rule.

Note the word "suggest".  It seems grossly inconsistent to judge as
"valid" rules that violate "suggestions" made in prior rules, and then
to judge as "invalid" rules that do not conform to the suggested
theme.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY