Re: Judgement 180:4 INVALID 0

From: Alan Riddell (pkpeekee_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 16:20:26 PST

> > If the judge will kindly explain how he's trouble making sense of the
> > above, I can perhaps clarify.  I contend it does make sense; that it
> > is consistent with all previous rules; and that 180:4 ought to be
> > rejudged VALID.  But I will withhold a proposal to that effect until
> > the Judge clarifies his ruling, in case I'm missing something.
> >
> > --
> > - Rich Holmes
> >   Syracuse, NY
>
>It was late last night when I issued that judgement, so I probably didn't
>explain my reasoning very well.  I fully agree with your statement that
>rule 180:2 becomes:
>
>"A rule containing the word Splitsplotsplinksplonk shall never have its
>description [The bracketed one] after it."
>
>However, this seems to imply the existance of some object called the
>description of a rule [the one in brackets] that cannot precede the rule.
>  The use of the definite article and the specification that the bracketed
>description is meant both seem to indicate to me that this bracketed
>description of a rule actually exists, at least for rules 2, 3, & 4.
>However I do not see that this is the case.  If I'm missing something and
>there is such a thing as the description of each of these rules that makes
>sense, please tell me.
>
>The Judge

Consider these cases,

1)Future rules shall never be written by a man with three arms.

2)Future rules shall never mention the names of men with three arms [Or the
man with 4 arms].

3.1)Future rules shall never have their description [The bracketed one]
after the body of the rule."
3.2)A description of a Rule is contained in square brackets.  Each future
Rule must contain a description.