Re: 185:9: INVALID, +2.0

From: Jesse Welton (jwelton_at_pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 12:07:48 PDT

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> "Only A if B" is a perfectly well-formed way of saying that out of a set
> of consequences, only A happens as a result of condition B being true.

Without specifying that set of consequences, it's certainly not well
defined in this sense.  "Only A" to me means, A and (not B) and (not
C) and (not D)...

In some contexts, it's certainly valid to interpret "only A if B" as
"if A then B" or, better respecing the causal sense of it, "if (not B)
then (not A)".  As in, "I only argue if I think I'm right."  (If I
argue, then I must think I'm right.  If I don't think I'm right, then
I don't argue.  Would any of your claim these three statements aren't
essentially identical?)  In particular, this is clearly the way to
interpret 185:9, which was Alan's point.

-Jesse