Judgement 178:6 INVALID -1 Style

From: Aron Wall (aron_at_wall.org)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 20:04:47 PST

Factitious wrote:

>     The seaside town of Fanshore is hosting a boat race. Each fantasy
> rule from now on will state the name of one vessel competing in the
> race.  My boat, the Cowfish, is the only submarine in the race.
>     Oh, wait; now that I think about it carefully, that restriction's
> been used before.  I'd better include my own restriction, too.
>     Future rules must correctly use semicolons at least as many times as
> they include the letter 'u', not counting uses of 'u' in the word
> 'udder'.
>
> --
> Rule Date: 2002-02-27 23:27:19 GMT

INVALID.  The statement "I'd better include my own restriction too" implies
that the first restriction IS in effect.  Yet this rule obeys that
restriction, despite being commanded by 178:2 not to do so.

Style: Merely pointing out the unstylish and unthematic qualities of a
restriction is not stylish if the restriction is included nonetheless.  No
format for a restriction is more worn out and common than the "All rules
shall name a..." type.  The absurdity in the repitition had an element of
humor, but when I am glad that a rule is INVALID, I must assign negative
style. to it. -1

The Wizard