RE: Round 178

From: Jonathan Van Matre (JVanMatre_at_oslp.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 12:18:23 PST

Ah!  The joys of etymology.  As I consult m-w.com, I find the following luscious tidbit of information:

"Main Entry: 1pe·cu·liar
Pronunciation: pi-'kyül-y&r
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English peculier, from Latin peculiaris of private property, special, from peculium private property, from pecu cattle; akin to Latin pecus cattle"

Isn't it delightful that the word peculiar derives from one of the most mundane of modern animals?

Therefore, all Fantasy Rules will make reference to cattle, in honor of the humble bovine origins of the term peculiar.

Moo!

--Jonathan