Re: 176:9 INVALID, -1.0

From: Alan Riddell (pkpeekee_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 07:16:29 PST

>To see that "one" is not in base 11, consider the word "twelve". This
>means the same number regardless of the base we are considering - but
>could be written as 1100, 110, 22, 15, 10 to name but a few
>possibilities. The word version of the number is basis-free (I would
>never refer to twelve in base 7 as "fifteen"!).

To be fair I dont see what the word twelve has any relevance with the word
one in this matter. Although, perhaps there is a confusion between names of
digits and names of numbers.  Names of numbers change in a different base,
names of digits remain the same. One still refers to the digit 1 in base 11.

Hmmm although after reading 176:1 again I am not sure... "e.g.
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,10,11,... " does make things clear.

Also

Alan Riddell