169:8 - INVALID +1.5

From: Glenn Overby II (guardcaptain_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 09:59:03 PDT

Jesse Welton writes:

>With the firm conviction that the judgement on 169:6 will be reversed,
>I submit this 169:8.
>
>169:8
>---
>Did I forget to mention that I was unoriginal for rolling a three
>right after David?  Silly me.  For my missed turn, I do nothing, as
>that is all one can do when taking a missed turn.  Fortunately,
>Gallivanting Tripper, who is in the lead, took two turns because he
>rolled doubles, (indeed, that is the only case in which a player may
>ever take two consecutive non-missed turns), so he's taken more turns
>than I have, which means I can still take another turn in this rule.
>
>As I prepare to roll the dice for my next turn, they snap around in my
>hand as though magnetized.  The pair of them are strangely loaded:
>They never roll the same pair of numbers twice between resets, which
>happen on a roll of double-zero.
>
>I roll a double-two, landing me on 7.  That sends Anton back to 5,
>which sends Rich back to 3.  I draw a Restriction card: "Each rule
>must leave a legal sequence of die rolls for the next player."
>Finally, I roll a 1, landing me on 8.  Nothing happens there.

Validity:  Hmmm.  I see two issues.  First off, a Restriction card is not a Constraint
card (see 169:5 and 169:6).  Second, with 169:7 now being VALID, the double-
two roll is no longer possible.  INVALID.

Style:  The relationship between the odd dice and the proposed restriction is
simply too elegant for words.  +1.5

Reflections:  Jesse's interpretation of "turn" is not the only one possible.

Glenn E. Overby II "da really tired judge"
Clinton Twp, MI
http://home.earthlink.net/~guardcaptain/

"Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature,
and we responded with the best of America...None of us will
ever forget this day, yet we go forward to defend freedom
and all that is good and just in our world."
   -- President George W. Bush
      11th September 2001