Round 168 Summary 1

From: Jesse Welton (jwelton_at_pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 07:07:07 PDT

Round Summary 1

Round 168 began at 15:11:09 on 2001-09-05 with the submission of 168:1
by Alan Riddell.  The Wizard Judge is Jesse Welton.  All times are
GMT.

Eligibility:
    Player      Eligible until      Style
Richad Holmes       2001-09-12 16:01:44 +1
Jeremy Selengut     2001-09-12 15:34:20 +1.5 <<style leader>>
Alan Riddell        2001-09-12 15:11:09 +1
<<all others>>      2001-09-12 15:11:09
David Lerner        2001-09-11 15:11:09 +0

Quick rule summary:
168:1   Alan Riddell        2001-09-05 15:11:09     VALID   +1
168:2   Jeremy D. Selengut  2001-09-05 15:34:20     VALID   +1.5
168:3   Richard S. Holmes   2001-09-05 16:01:44     VALID   +1
168:4   David L. Lerner     2001-09-05 19:20:04     INVALID +0

Full judgements:

168:1   Alan Riddell        2001-09-05 15:11:09     VALID   +1

> Help me please! Build me a house, to be filled with lots of shiny things.
> All future rules shall either help in the construction of my house, or with
> the collection of shiny things to put inside it.

Validity: No problems.

Style: A nice, simple start to the round, in an appealing style.  +1

168:2   Jeremy D. Selengut  2001-09-05 15:34:20     VALID   +1.5

> When Alan calls for help, we of the FRC help, of course (isn't this the
> Friendly Relations Club, after all?).  Of course, beggars can't be
> choosers, so watch out what you get, Alan.  My dog Franc and I dig out the
> cellar, and pour the concrete for the foundation.  Of course, we've never
> done this before, so I really hope it doesn't shift later on...
>
> Of course, since we are also the Fiscally Responsible Corporation, any
> shiny thing or piece of work which is of high quality (will not break,
> tarnish or malfunction in any way during the round) must be paid
> for.  Anything of high quality which is contributed to the house and not
> paid for before each of Alan's rules must be paid for in the next rule by
> Alan.  Anything not paid for prior to or in Alan's rules are necessarily
> not of high quality.
>
> Should the owner of the building site (presently Alan) become ineligible,
> the author of the next valid rule becomes the new owner of the building
> site and takes on all the responsibilities given to Alan in this rule (i.e.
> final responsibility for paying for high quality items).

Validity: No problems.

Style: A good balance between narative and restriction, close to the
limit of what I like a single rule to do at this stage.  The fiscal
responsibility requirement for high quality work promises to be an
interesting dynamic in the round.  +1.5

168:3   Richard S. Holmes   2001-09-05 16:01:44     VALID   +1

> It'd be a shame if Jeremy's foundation were not of high quality and
> started to shift or crack.  Likewise the floor joists now being
> installed by the Floor and Roofing Corporation.  Good thing Alan can
> have one or more construction items and/or shiny things removed in his
> rules -- if he can pay the cost of removal, and if no other unremoved
> item has been installed more recently than the items being removed.
>
> The floor joists cost 8000 frocloos, Alan.  Or if you don't like them,
> it's 1000 frocloos to remove them.

Validity: No problems.

Style: Removing things isn't much in the spirit of building, but it
could be better than shoddy workmanship.  I like the limitation that
removed items must be paid for.  Of course, so far Alan's budget is
unlimited.  FRC references tend to get tedious, but I rather like
"Floor and Roofing Corporation" - very natural.  +1

168:4   David L. Lerner     2001-09-05 19:20:04     INVALID +0

> Naturally, Alan's house must conform to all local regulations.  And, in this
> area, all construction is overseen by the Fabrication Regulations Committee.
>
> In order to boost local business the Fabrication Regulations Committee
> requires all individuals and agencies involved in constructing a building to
> have associative ties.  Therefore, every rule, starting w/ the second rule,
> must mention at least one group w/ the initials FRC.

Validity: This rule helps with neither the construction of Alan's
house, nor filling it with shiny things, as required by 168:1.
INVALID.

Style: Doesn't have anything to do with building, and the connection
between the restriction and the Fabrication Regulations Committee is
weak.  +0